C25K rest days?

While doing C25K, do you do a workout on your rest days, or do you rest completely? I was thinking of doing 30DS on my rest days (since it includes strength), but I don't want to completely kill my legs. What does everyone else do?

Replies

• baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Hello!

I am planning to do yoga on my days off. For example, I am starting C25K today actually. My schedule will be Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. On Mondays and Thursdays, I will be doing Yoga. Wednesdays and Saturdays will be my days off. I take an awesome yoga class that's a combination of Ashtanga (power yoga) and Vinyasa (more focused on the practice of breathing). It's an amazing work out that really tones and leans muscles, plus it's an excellent stretch for days between runs.
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    I always did other workouts when doing C25K. I think my schedule was C25K on MWF, elliptical (45 minutes) TRS, and I did 30DS all six of those days. Sunday I would have a rest day.

Worked for me and I am now trying to increase my 5K time. Still doing the elliptical the other 3 days for cardio and doing RI30 everyday.

5K to 10K coming up soon!
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    I'm about halfway through C25K, and on my off days I either do an at-home weight circuit with dumbells, or a yoga/toning DVD, bike ride, or dance. I personally wouldn't want to do 30DS at the same time because there are a lot of high impact/jumping moves, however I have heard of people doing so with success.
  • listen to your body... You can workout 6 days per week. Just watch intensity so that you have some easy days.

Also avoiding high impact while your joints, and soft tissues get used to the stress of running will help reduce your chance of injury
  • Elliptical/crosstrainer, recumbent bike, or walk. I work out 6 days a week, rest on 1.
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    I like to do strength training on opposite days. I want my upper body tightened up too!!:smile:
  • youareorange
    youareorange Posts: 74 Member
    Days off are very important and often overlooked when you want to reach a goal, but your body needs time to rest from the previous workout and if you push too hard, you end up over-training and risk injury. Been there, done that.

For me, I run every other day and on my rest days I will cross-train and do a Spinning class or do yoga. I will also use a rest day to strength train.

Sometimes on my off days, I just don't feel like working out because my body needs a break, and I will take the day off completely.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Longtime graduate here.

At first I would walk on my rest days. As I got more fit I would do 30DS on off days and rest maybe one day a week. When I first started 30 DS I was too sore to run for a couple of days! Now I easily alternate running and either strength or circuit- strength.

For me I need the calorie burn on most days instead of a true rest day.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    I still workout between my runs (I'm loosely following C25K). I go with lower impact workouts such as swimming or yoga. Also can make them Arms day for strength. I try not to do a legs day on a running rest day so that my legs can recover.