Response to a Bad Day

Options
bambi2578
bambi2578 Posts: 155 Member
I have a question for all of you -

Say you have a bad day - you ate some things you weren't supposed to and went over your calories for the day. Now, for the next day, would you do extra to make up for the calories you went over, ie work out harder and not eat it back?

I went over by about 300 yesterday, and I was planning on working out a little more than normal. Should I plan on eating those calories back, or no? I'm just not sure if I should take those calories into account today or not.

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If it's 300 calories, I'd still be at a slight deficit, and so I wouldn't worry about it. If I'm over by like 700, then I play catch up (or if I'm 300 calories over several days in a row).
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    300+ is not a very bad day. It's not good enough, yeah, but not something you need to be hard on yourelf. Do not workout to burn more, rather try to stick to your plans. I did that in the past and I ended up gaining more fat and injuring myself.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Honestly I just chalk it up to being a bad day and just do better the next day.

Sunday I made HORRIFIC choices food-wise towards the end of the day and I drank a lot (St. Patty's and all that). Yesterday I hit the gym and made better food choices. Just do what you normally do and don't fret about it. I've learned that beating myself up over a bad day and dwelling on it makes it that much worse.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I do not punish myself for poor food choices. Being too heavy to do certain things is punishment enough. I just get up the next day and start over again.
  • badbradley
    badbradley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I factor into my diet-spiritual-psyche-well-being that I am going to go over sometimes and don't let it bother me, so I try not to look at those occurrences as "bad days". As it relates to what I do the next day, I just keep on with my usual routine.

I have had significant over calorie days. For example, my nieces birthday party with cheeseburgers (and adult beverages for us older kids) and an ice cream cake. Blew it by a full order of magnitude and went almost 2000 calories *over* my daily allotment. Damn it was tasty tho......

I still lost almost 2 lbs that week.

As far as eating back, there has been a lot of discussion on this topic on these boards. I usually eat my calories back but feel if I have been particularly naughty, I eat healthier the following day and exercise. If I don't eat them all back then that's OK with me - it doesn't seem to affect my progression one way or the other. Whatever you find works best for you and how your body handles it.

I also remind myself this is a marathon rather than a sprint. I've repeated it so often I actually believe it now. :glasses:
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I would start from scratch. Those 300 calories and yesterday are gone, no getting them back. Just start over today like you would a normal day.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    300 isn't bad so I wouldn't worry too much. If you are concerned then put in an extra 10 min each day throughout the week when working out. Should make up for it easily.
  • bambi2578
    bambi2578 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I should've added more -

By a change of events, I have off from work, meaning I'll be able to go out for a longer jog than normal - which is a good thing.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I carry on - business as usual, back to my normal routine. Yesterday is done and gone. I can't change it and dwelling on it or trying to "make up for it" puts me in a bad place.