Protein powder

AmyW4225
AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been on MFP for 17 days now and have only lost 3 lbs. I want to step it up a notch and lose weight FASTER!! I bought some protein powder yesterday. Now, what do I do with it?? LOL Do I use it before or after a workout or both? Also, any tips on speeding up the weight loss(healthy) would be appreciated, such as what to eat and what to avoid. I am burning off between 600-1400 calories/day and my calorie goal before exercise is 1200. I read something that was written by the doctor on The Biggest Loser and he stated that it's not unhealthy to lose 20 lbs in one week, as long as you're doing it the right way. I know I don't weigh enough to lose 20 lbs in one week but how about 5-10 lbs? My scale hasn't moved in atleast 10 days and I'm staying under/around calorie goal and working my butt off!! Thanks for any help!! :happy:

Replies

• themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    you want to take protein within a half hour after your workout. If I worout in the AM, I have my shake after my workout. If not, i have one for breakfast, and then one after the gym (after work).

Check and see what you can mix your protein with - some are very strick and it's water ONLY. I use Chocolate Wheybolic extreme 60 and for my breakfast shake, I mix with either 8 oz water, or 8 oz chocolate light soy milk and half a banana. After my workout, i mix with water only.
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    what kind of protein powder did you buy? If it's whey, you should use it right after a workout. If it's soy (ummm--there is some hostility on this issue and some would recommend throwing it away), other proteins take longer to process and you can take any time of day.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    If you want to lose weight quickly, don't eat.

If you want to lose weight correctly, effectively and for life - plan to lose 1 -2 lbs per week on a plan you can maintain for LIFE. I don't know how much you plan to lose but unless you're extremely obese would you lose 5 lbs in 1 week and a good part of that would be water.

Protein is awesome. What kind it is determines when you would take it. Quick digesting proteins (egg or whey) would be taken immediately following a workout to help speed recovery and gain muscle. Some are made to be taken before. Most have suggested usage on the label. Slow digesting proteins like casein are best taken in place of a daytime snack or before bed. They also help curb hunger. Protein will not make you lose weight. But it does help maintain lean muscle which is essential to losing fat.

You are burning a lot of calories through exercise - make sure you eat as many of those back. If you don't nourish your body properly it cannot function properly. It's all about balance and learning a healthy new habit. good luck!
  • When choosing a protein powder choose a whey powder with absolutely no soy. Processed soy is not good for you. Hang in there just don't eat so few calories that your body goes into starvation mode. Good luck:happy:
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Hey Awill4225,

First if you can get a comment on how to lose 20lbs a week healthy please send it my way.

You might want to make a smoothie with your protien powder, you can use it as a meal replacement and I would do it for breakfast, so that might be before your workout. Once you finish with the one you have you might want to try one I found that also have vitamins in it, Alive Ultra Shake Vanilla, it has soy protein. I got it from NutritionExpress.com.

You might want to consider a colon cleanse. It might sound gross, but scientist say that even people of a healthy weight can be carrying around 5-22lbs of build up toxins in their colon. Plus, when your colon is healthy you will lose weight faster.

Here's a natural cleansing method I found on eHow.com:

1. For 3wks make mixture of 1 tbsp of Psyllium Husk and 10oz water, drink 30 mins before breakfast and 2 hours after dinner
    2. Breakfast Shake (1 cup berries, 1 scoop protien powder, 1 tbsp of flaxseed oil, and 1 cup of water and a banana
    3. For maintenance breakfast shak daily and 1 glass of psyllium mixture (I'd probably only do maintenance 3 days a weeks)

Things you'll Need:
    100% pure psyllium husk
    For Shake:
    1 cup berries
    soy protein powder
    pure flaxseed oil
    1 small banana

I found everything on NutritionExpress.com reasonably priced! Good Luck...I hope this helps!
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Oh yeah, and I've read and heard a 100 times over that your body will burn an extra 120+ calories a day just by drinking 64oz or more of ice cold water...the body burns they calories by heating the water up to 98.6 degrees.
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Thank you , everyone, for your help. I am at 167 lbs. and I would like to lose atleast 40 lbs. For those of you that wanted to know, it is whey protein that I have.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    If you want to lose weight quickly, don't eat.

If you want to lose weight correctly, effectively and for life - plan to lose 1 -2 lbs per week on a plan you can maintain for LIFE. I don't know how much you plan to lose but unless you're extremely obese would you lose 5 lbs in 1 week and a good part of that would be water.

Protein is awesome. What kind it is determines when you would take it. Quick digesting proteins (egg or whey) would be taken immediately following a workout to help speed recovery and gain muscle. Some are made to be taken before. Most have suggested usage on the label. Slow digesting proteins like casein are best taken in place of a daytime snack or before bed. They also help curb hunger. Protein will not make you lose weight. But it does help maintain lean muscle which is essential to losing fat.

i'm waiting for people to comment on your "if you want to lose weight quickly, dont eat".

You are burning a lot of calories through exercise - make sure you eat as many of those back. If you don't nourish your body properly it cannot function properly. It's all about balance and learning a healthy new habit. good luck!

I know, right. lol I hope they all realize I was only trying to make a point. haha!
This discussion has been closed.