Are fruits bad for losing weight?

Options
RieBerg
RieBerg Posts: 261 Member
I was told that foods high in sugar go through you fast, leaving you hungry faster than low sugar foods. So, should I stay away from fruits? If so, what foods other than fruits have high protein and high fiber and low sugar?

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Do a quick search. This question is answered multiple times a day. That said, fruit sugars are fine, just be careful of your added refined sugars and your fruit juices/sodas.
  • lsiberian
    lsiberian Posts: 69
    Options
    Fruits are good for you.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    No.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I just read about a legitimate scientific study that showed bananas are less filling than some common junk foods. That's the extent of my scientific knowledge, lol! And I will still eat my bananas, because I like them!

At the end of the day, fruit's better than junk food, even if it is high in sugar. As long as you are eating a well-balanced meal and aren't finding yourself starving between meals because your food isn't filling you up, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you. If you like fruit, eat it.
    Sugar is not bad for you. Carbs (sugars) are what fuel the Krebb's Cycle in cellular respiration.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Fruit is very nutritious. Yes, fruit has sugar...but it also has a lot of fiber (as well as numerous essential vitamins and minerals); the fiber slows the rate at which the sugar is metabolized...so in essence you body treats that sugar differently than it would straight sugar from a soda or cookie or something.

My diet is largely Mediterranean inspired, so I have lots of fruit...lots of veg...lots of lean proteins and nuts and other heart healthy fats. My blood work has drastically improved in under 6 months and I've lost nearly 30 Lbs to boot. I have about 3-4 servings of fruit per day and 5-6 servings of veg on average.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Over the past two weeks, since eating more "clean" (with up to three cups of fruits per day), I have noticed increased weight loss and a general tightening of my body, despite eating roughly the same number of calories that I did before. I think it's because healthy food keeps me full longer, so I unknowingly eat less. An apple is huge but only around 100 calories. For the calories in a 2" plain chocolate brownie I could have two cups or blueberries, or one cup of berries mixed in with 3/4 cup of greek yogurt. You just get more food for your deficit.

Fruits are great for you, especially the brightly colored ones. I always eat them with a protein source, like yogurt or milk, so that I don't get that sugar spike and hunger one hour later that you mentioned. I do that when I eat anything with a lot of sugar, natural or not.

What I DO avoid is sugar when it doesn't have the nutrition of fruit. That would include white sugar and white flour baked snacks, which leave me hungry soon after and do nothing for my RDA. I'm eating to fuel my body, so I'm trying to maximize the nutrients in my calories. I am also prone to binge the second something too fatty and sweet (ex. cinnamon roll) hits my lips, so eating clean with naturally sweet fruit helps me to avoid that hormonal see saw.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is not bad .... just don't go crazy

Fruit does not really have much in the way of protein.... it does have lots of other nutrients (including fiber).

Veggies & whole grains have fiber too ... and some protein here as well

Protein is usually meats, eggs, dairy, beans, and nuts
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    ill get flamed but yes. They are high in sugar. stick to 2 pieces per day and eat veggies instead.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Fruits have sugar, in small quantities they're okay, but you shouldn't binge on them. You also should not drink fruit juice while on a diet. It's pure sugar. The fact that it's fructose and not sucrose is not significant when consumed in that amount.

For more information, read theeatingacademy.com blog. I think this is covered in the Sugar 101 post.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    No.

HEY!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    No.

HEY!
    :angry: \m/
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    ill get flamed but yes. They are high in sugar. stick to 2 pieces per day and eat veggies instead.
    :flowerforyou:
    The blog I mentioned gives further suggestions. Eat broccoli instead of peas and carrots and yams over white potatoes.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    dont eat fruits, they will kill you, all that sugar.......

:wink:
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    They are the devil.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    no fruits are good... definately have to be tracked because they have a fair amount of carbohydrates but are packed with micronutrients and fiber which are ultimately the indicator for a great "weightloss" food.
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If you eat too much, then of course yes. But fruits arevery good to stop sugar cravings.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Are fruits bad for losing weight?

If you have then in your pockets when you weigh-in they are.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Fruits have sugar, in small quantities they're okay, but you shouldn't binge on them. You also should not drink fruit juice while on a diet. It's pure sugar. The fact that it's fructose and not sucrose is not significant when consumed in that amount.

For more information, read theeatingacademy.com blog. I think this is covered in the Sugar 101 post.

How about some unbiased peer reviewed studies as opposed to a blog? You know....so we can pass on actual factual information.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    > 1 Year Consecutive Logging
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    No.

HEY!

Uh oh.