Super confused about calories

Options
Hello I weigh 172 and have set my calorie goal set at 1080 and do light workouts such as yoga, walking, and some calisthenics every day. Is this an appropriate amount of calories?

Replies

• tigermom12
    Options
    I think that sounds way too low. There is a calculator that you can use to figure out what your caloric intake should be. Good luck!:happy:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hello I weigh 172 and have set my calorie goal set at 1080 and do light workouts such as yoga, walking, and some calisthenics every day. Is this an appropriate amount of calories?

Why did you pick 1080?
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You should eat your BMR
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Sounds very low to me.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It looks like your head nearly comes to the top of that door, so I doubt that you are significantly under 5'. Those are the only people who can consistently eat that low!
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    use the calculator to get you BMR....add something for your daily activities....things like walking from the car to the office/store/whatever, doing laundry, buyung groceries, etc....all the mundane stuff we all have to do. I use 200 Kcals/day and add that to my BMR. Then I estimate that I will burn 300-400 cals/day. Add that to my BMR and DA. This gives me Total Daily Energy Requirement.
    I want to lost about 1 lbs a week, which means I want a deficit of 500 Kcals/day. So, take the number from above and subtract 500Kcals....that's your daily calorie needs.

Here's my calculation: BMR = 1750
    DA = 200
    Exercise = 300.
    So, 1750+200+300= 2250 -500=1750.
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    Why are your calories set so low? Increase them by quite a bit.

Too low will increase muscle loss along the way.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I'm starting to be really wary of BMR calculators. Some give me 1560, others 1670, another 1430 because they say the regular formula doesn't take into account your lean body mass, and my goal with MFP is 1450.

So yeah...

Either way, that's way way too low. For 170 lb, with light exercise, I'd eat at least 1400.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Way too low. You can almost double it.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options

I'm starting to be really wary of BMR calculators. Some give me 1560, others 1670, another 1430 because they say the regular formula doesn't take into account your lean body mass, and my goal with MFP is 1450.

So yeah...

Either way, that's way way too low. For 170 lb, with light exercise, I'd eat at least 1400.

there's at least 3 formulas used to calculate BMR (probably more), as evidenced by the different calorie results you got. But, they aren't that far apart, and I would just use either the middle one, or an average.
  • Bizzeemamanj
    Options
    Did MFP generate that number for you? It sounds low. If you go to settings and update diet/fitness profile and enter all the information correctly, MFP will generate a net calorie goal for you. Start there and see what you get - and be honest when you enter the information. When I was at 170 my net calorie goal was 1,400.
  • Lilacsrock
    Lilacsrock Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Mgp gave me 1200 to maintain my weight so I subracted 20% to get 1080 I am also 5ft 3 in for tge person who asked
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Mgp gave me 1200 to maintain my weight so I subracted 20% to get 1080 I am also 5ft 3 in for tge person who asked

Something is way off.

read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Lilacsrock
    Options
    Okay my tdee is 2192 & bmr is 1594 & rmr is 1577 what do I do with this I'm so bad at, math it all becomes in big jumble
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Okay my tdee is 2192 & bmr is 1594 & rmr is 1577 what do I do with this I'm so bad at, math it all becomes in big jumble

I would At least eat your bmr of 1594.
    (:
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options

The 1594/1577 is literally what your body needs to SURVIVE. Meaning, you should not eat under that amount for any extended period of time. There are exceptions for the morbidly obese but that is not you.

The 2192 is how many calories your body burns in a typical day BEFORE you enter any exercise. So you want to eat a number that is IN BETWEEN 1600 and 2200 (rounding the numbers to make it easier), which creates a calorie deficit. You should eat 20% less than 2200, which is 1760. Eat that.

Set your activity level to sedentary, enter all your exercise. Don't overestimate the number of calories you burn by exercising. "Eat back" your exercise calories - or in other words, just go by the number MFP says you have for the day. It goes up when you enter exercise for a reason. You don't have to wait until after you exercise to eat them. On days you plan to work out, you can spread them out across the day if you plan ahead.

I hope this helps!
  • sinman22807
    sinman22807 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and I weigh 150. In order for me to loose weight (im very active) I eat 1550 calories a day. Thats to loose 1 lb a week. (never happens really i usually loose about .5 a lb. )
  • Lilacsrock
    Options
    Thanks so much guys for explaining this now I definitely see how off I was atleast I knew there was a 20% in there somewhere hahaha thanks again :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

You must have entered something wrong. Try to set it up again. Or you may be misreading the goal cals for losing as the goal cals for maintaining.