Weight lifting for women

Options
Hi all-

I'm wondering any and all pointers you may have for lifting heavy weights. I'm becoming more serious about getting in 3 lifting days a week to compliment my 3 days of running a week.

What I would like to know is, what you are eating, what your goals are, do you target one muscle group per workout? Anything that can help put my muscle gain in rapid speed mode.

Anyone feel free to add me as I'd love to have more friends to encourage me on my fitness journey.

Thanks!
EJ

Replies

• cslusser125
    Options
    Your plan sounds similar to mine. I lift 3 days and run 3 days a week (I love running and races, I can't give them up). With three days of lifting, I do compound lifts, which target many muscles in a reduced amount of time. I've been doing Stronglifts, which follows this regimen. Highly recommend it.

My goal is to build muscle and reduce my body fat percentage, and I tend to follow the eating clean regimen (heandsheeatclean.com have some really good recipes). When I get all of my protein and water in, that's when I really start to feel good and feel like I'm making changes.

Good luck on your journey!
  • blondie_182_182
    blondie_182_182 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Your exercise is similar to mine. I do 3 days of cardio (usually running) and 3 days of lifting. I am doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women program. I love it so far! I have heard great things about Stronglifts also. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I do compound lifts as well because I don't have two hours to spend at the gym every day. I usually lift for about an hour.

As far as eating, I have been following the "eat more to weigh less" mantra. I used to be a 1200 calorie a day kind of person and when I started eating normal, I gained 20 pounds back. Eating more and not starving just makes sense to me. I try to get at least 130 grams of protein a day (1 gram for each pound of lean body mass) but usually end up around 150.

I will add you!
  • ThisNewFitGirl
    ThisNewFitGirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You both sound like you're doing exactly what I'm trying o get into. I think my mother-in-law has the book, "The new rules" I'm going to have to borrow it from her. I'm adding you both to my friends because I will totaly be looking up to you as inspiration. THANKS!
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I also lift 3 times/week, mostly compound exercises to save time.
    Since I started I have really increased my protein because I'm still on a calorie deficit.
    I bought protein powder the other day and mix it with foods I already eat anyways.
    My fav exercises are squats, deallifts, lunges while doing bicep curl, chin ups and russian twists with weight.
  • ThisNewFitGirl
    Options
    I think my only issue is just remembering different exercizes to do.
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

I bring a list with me and check them off as I do them. I also copy & paste pictures from Google images so I don't forget how to maintain proper form. I browse the internet for ideas on different exercises, I modify my list all the time as I discover new exercises or replace boring ones with new ones. Try compound exercises, they are time efficient and make you look badass :-)
  • luminajd
    luminajd Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I made a document that has the name of exercise, and I write down how much I lifted. That way I can see how much I am progressing and never have to try and remember how much I lifted last time.
    I take my smartphone with me with the exercises pulled up on youtube, if I forget, I watch the video. I have only been lifting a few weeks and already remember how to do the exercises.
  • ThisNewFitGirl
    Options
    I made a document that has the name of exercise, and I write down how much I lifted. That way I can see how much I am progressing and never have to try and remember how much I lifted last time.
    I take my smartphone with me with the exercises pulled up on youtube, if I forget, I watch the video. I have only been lifting a few weeks and already remember how to do the exercises.

This is SUCH a good idea. IDK why i never thought of this.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I workout every day. I start with 30 min. of cardio and then work one muscle group per day working in abs and legs every other day.