Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Working out around injury

Just got back from the gym... was in the middle of my upper back workout, mid-set of 1 arm pulley rows, and I feel/hear this 'Pop!' in my left shoulder. It hurt but not excruciating. But my left shoulder couldn't complete a rep, not even at a lower weight. So I quit so I wouldn't injure it further. I tried doing dumbell chest press and flys but it was twinging when I did those.

I'm guessing that I just pulled something out of joint, at least that's what it feels like, not muscle or tendon. I'm planning on having my chiro look at it this afternoon.

So, I plan on not working upper body on Thursday unless it feels 100%.

Does anyone have suggestions for a work-around?

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    I have some tendonitis in my right shoulder that kept me from doing shoulder work and any fly exercises for my chest, for a couple of months. I was able to progressively work around it by doing everything at partial weight and build up. I still can't do dumbbell chest flye work, but I can do cable flyes and use pec fly machines.

So you may want to put the fly type work on hold for a couple of weeks. You won't lose much or anything during that time period, as long as you can do presses. Check if you can do above the head presses, because those might have to go on the shelf as well. Lateral and Front DB raises should work for you.

Hoping for a speedy recovery!
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    I had a similar experience while benching. Ended up being a rotator cuff tear.
  • lrbassmom
    lrbassmom Posts: 123
    The weird thing is that it doesn't really hurt. But it feels kind of weak. I'll see what the chiro says.
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Exercises that strengthen your rotator cuff are going to be the best choice. Shoulder injuries suck, and they take a long time to fully heal. Shoulder should be down and back, chest out, and the elbow should be pulled back along your hips (too far and the elbow will move towards the shoulder and away from hips). Generally you stop when your hand is at your rib cage. This will prevent the excessive stress on the shoulder, and stop the shoulder from rolling forward.

Scooby has a video doing the rotator cuff exercises I'm talking about:

http://youtu.be/2DuGnz796Lw
    http://youtu.be/HpdlF_Vh7zg
  • lrbassmom
    lrbassmom Posts: 123
    Update... kind of.

So it's a couple of days since the initial "injury" of sorts. It doesn't really hurt. I even tested it with the exercise that I was doing when it 'popped'. Again, a little weakness but no pain indicating muscle/tendon tear. Further ROM testing revealed clicking or popping when I laterally abduct my arm. And any muscle pain just feels more like weakness, or irritation of the muscle origin. So I feel pretty certain I just need to get to the chiro. Truth is, I could really use an all-over adjustment.