weight loss surgery!

Options
hfzimmerman
hfzimmerman Posts: 200 Member
Hello,
I'm just wondering who's had, what type, would you do it again and any info you'd like to share.
Thanks!

Replies

• jessifreehugs
    jessifreehugs Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You're probably not going to get a ton of responses on here about WLS. That being said, check out www.obesityhelp.com. They have great forums and success stories as well as cold hard facts about all types of WLS. Good luck!
  • pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm going to echo what the person above me said. People here aren't too kind when it comes to things like weight loss surgery. :\

I wish you luck though! I hope you find more info and find something that works for you.
  • mncmom3
    mncmom3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi Heather,

I looked in to it before joining MFP. Park Nicollet (and all of the other major hospitals) hold free informational sessions for those looking into these procedures. I would recommend signing up for one in addition to going to obesityhelp.com. The most important thing I can tell you is that it is not a quick fix- it really is a life style change just like any other method to lose weight. I decided to try it on my own at this point because of the recovery and the program is much like the restricted cal diet my dietitian put me on without surgery. These are "tools" to lose weight but ultimately it is up to you to adhere to the special diet and maintain the assigned program. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide is best for you.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If you use the search button above you will find a few threads for weight loss surgeries
  • hfzimmerman
    hfzimmerman Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I've already done an information seminar but like hearing from real people who have had it. I don't consider it lightly, I know it is a tool and that significant changes need to be made but I'm running out of options. I cannot go on doctor prescribed medicine to assist and I've been trying unsuccessfully for years now to lose weight and even when I'm on top of everything(healthy eating, in/under calories, exercise) with still no success I always stay within 5 pounds of the same weight.
  • amarkle86
    amarkle86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the lap band :) The important thing to remember is that it's just a tool, not a solution. It helps move you in the right directly, but you have to make it a complete life style change. You can message me if you have any questions.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have the lap band :) The important thing to remember is that it's just a tool, not a solution. It helps move you in the right directly, but you have to make it a complete life style change. You can message me if you have any questions.

Ditto. If you think it is any sort of magic bullet you are wrong. In the beginning it works for most everyone and deceives you into thinking you can go on eating whatever you want in smaller quantities. If you are not willing to make the same changes before lap band than do not do it.
  • reddirtgal
    Options
    I had a gastric segmentation band done in 2002. I lost 183 lbs in 2 years, but held no food down. After two years it had to come off because I was down in 110 lbs and losing daily still, I lost all my muscle mass and most of my hair. I started having cavities as well. My body was starving to death. After band removal (which was lodged in scar tissue-8 hr surgery), I gave birth to a baby and started regaining all plus some of my weight. I recently decided to lose the weight the hard way, and the safe way with MFP. I would NOT recommend surgery, at all. Of several friends who had surgery, none have been successful. Do it this way, I promise!!
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I decided against it and did it on my own. I feel this was the best choice for me because it allowed me to change mentally and progress to a healthy life rather than trying to just get the result I wanted.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I had a gastric segmentation band done in 2002. I lost 183 lbs in 2 years, but held no food down. After two years it had to come off because I was down in 110 lbs and losing daily still, I lost all my muscle mass and most of my hair. I started having cavities as well. My body was starving to death. After band removal (which was lodged in scar tissue-8 hr surgery), I gave birth to a baby and started regaining all plus some of my weight. I recently decided to lose the weight the hard way, and the safe way with MFP. I would NOT recommend surgery, at all. Of several friends who had surgery, none have been successful. Do it this way, I promise!!

In fairness, far better options exist now. I am banded and have had marvelous success. Most people who fail WLS do so because they do not follow the post-operative instructions. There is a very small percentage of people who encounter the experience described here. I certainly do not recommend anything more restrictive than a band or sleeve unless your life is in jeopardy.
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I had RNY gastric bypass in June of 2000 and lost 211 pounds in 11 months. It does bring a lot of health problems, all of which I've been able to work around and deal with. :wink:
  • amarkle86
    amarkle86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

In fairness, far better options exist now. I am banded and have had marvelous success. Most people who fail WLS do so because they do not follow the post-operative instructions. There is a very small percentage of people who encounter the experience described here. I certainly do not recommend anything more restrictive than a band or sleeve unless your life is in jeopardy.

I agree with you completely jcmartin, things have changed. I know at least 10 people who have had some type of WLS, and they've all been successful except for one. She wasn't successful because she refused to follow the rules and change her eating habits. Each person is different, you can't really base one persons experience on what your decision will be. You need to take a hard look at yourself and commit to change. And you have to remember that each persons success or fail story is not your story, you have to make your own story.
  • felicia_s
    felicia_s Posts: 47
    Options
    Hello! I had a duodenal switch. I would definitely do it again. I researched for about 2 years on obesityhelp.com and decided that the DS was the best choice for me. The first few months were pure hell. But it got easier day by day. I pretty much followed an Atkins' type diet the first year. You might be thinking, well if I just follow an Atkins diet I will lose the weight. Maybe, maybe not. It was so much easier to follow the correct diet as I was unable to overeat and didn't crave sweets like I used to crave.

I had my surgery about 4 years ago. I have regained 15 pounds from my lowest weight. Not a huge amount, but I want to nip it in the bud before it gets too out of hand. So I'm back here on MFP logging food and exercise again.

I would say NOW I am like any normal woman who has gained a few pounds and wants to lose them before bathing suit season.

Do what's right for you...whether that means surgery or not.

Take care,

Felicia
  • reddirtgal
    Options
    I did follow the rules, mine was put on wrong. It was sewed to my stomach lining instead of around my stomach. After 2 years, and nearly losing my life, I still would not recommend it. It is a tool only, not a solution. You can eat around it, I have several friends still banded and even RNY friends who managed to put the weight back on. You have to be willing to change your life and eating styles and habits and MOVE your body. You cannot eat whatever you want, never exercise and lose and keep it off. MFP is the best option for me. I am just glad I had a second chance at life, to lose it this way.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I would really rather see you lose weight the way it was intended. WLS is very traumatic to the stomach and there are no long term studies on the side effects. If you think about it, the stomach is a key organ for survival, much like your heart, liver, and kidneys. Weight loss through patience, determination, hard work, and support from your friends at MFP is the absolute best way to go about it. I have 170 pounds to lose and I'm only on day 5 of my program but I REFUSE to consider WLS. I'm way to capable a person for that.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I decided against it and did it on my own. I feel this was the best choice for me because it allowed me to change mentally and progress to a healthy life rather than trying to just get the result I wanted.

Damn, dude! That rules. Congrats on an awesome amount of weight lost! I won't bemoan 170 that I've got to lose.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I agree with you completely jcmartin, things have changed. I know at least 10 people who have had some type of WLS, and they've all been successful except for one. She wasn't successful because she refused to follow the rules and change her eating habits. Each person is different, you can't really base one persons experience on what your decision will be. You need to take a hard look at yourself and commit to change. And you have to remember that each persons success or fail story is not your story, you have to make your own story.

Agreed, my mom had WLS, and she lost a lot of weight (and hair and muscle), but has since put a lot back on because she wasn't compliant. If you try to use it as a "get skinny quick" option and not a swift kick in the pants to get your life in gear and start eating healthy and exercising, then it won't work. Now my mom is considering a "revision" to her surgery. It still won't work because she isn't willing to exercise and really look at what she's eating.
  • reddirtgal
    Options
    I agree that the band and other surgerys can be abused. However, not every person who has WLS horror stories was breaking the rules. The surgeon who removed my band gave me a cd of photos showing how it was put on wrong. WLS can go wrong if you use the wrong doctor. There are risks to your life when considering these options, choose carefully. I am sure procedures have come a long way, but know the risks and know that they all are NOT successful in the way you would hope. I definitely lost weight, but almost died in the process. Worth it? Not for me.
  • reddirtgal
    Options
  • hsobolew
    hsobolew Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Honestly I am not a fan. My mom had complete gastric bypass surgery 6 years ago and died a week later from a leak of intestinal fluid into her abdomen. Sadly we usually only see the success stories from these types of surgeries when in reality there are so many potentially fatal complications.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!