Cooking with bell peppers

Options
MegsHutch90
MegsHutch90 Posts: 72 Member
I want to like peppers, I really do! However, I really don't like them. Any recipes/ideas that might start me on a path to appreciation?? (note: Tomato-free recipes, please. I am allergic)

Thanks!

Replies

• robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Try grilling orange or yellow ones with a little butter and garlic powder, the grilling really makes the sweetness come out. This is the only way my 8 year old will eat them.
  • slfordstthomas
    slfordstthomas Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about bell peppers, but this recipe is easy and it helped me appreciate all their flavor!
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/red_pepper_goat_cheese_frittata.html
    Roasting also helps. Add roasted peppers to salads or sandwiches. They're yum!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    What don't you like about them - taste, texture, something else? That way people can suggest stuff you might like.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i put them in every stir fry i make.
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sorry. Just noticed the reference to a tomato allergy. My recipe won't work.
  • klynnshuck
    klynnshuck Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started out by chopping them really small and putting them in tacos and on my pizzas. Little by little I have grown to like them. At first I was just choking them down. Now I am always buying them.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The brightly colored ones (Red, Orange and Yellow) will be sweeter than the green. I agree that grilling them might make them tastier. Also roasting them so that the outer flesh comes off and you can puree the sweeter "meat" of the pepper into all kinds of delicious sauces. I don't have any specific recipes, I usually wing it, but if you google "roasting" bell peppers you'll find some good leads.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I add them to stirfries. And I use the roasted ones, blended with a bit of chilli, (and tomatoes in my case but not yours of course) to make a sauce for chicken, which is very good.

They're not my favourite vegetable but I don't mind them as long as they're not in great bit chunks, which often seem to have a bitter taste - it's worth experimenting with different varieties.

But they're not compulsory - if you really don't like them at all, have something else!
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    This is something I actually can speak with authority about!!!! who knew?????? lol....... I luvvvvvvv all bell peppers. I grow 13 different kinds. My favorite is sweet red. One of the easiest ways is to slice them long ways, throw out ALL the seeds, do not ingest them, then pan sear with olive oil. I like grilling them too. I eat peppers almost daily in some form or fashion. I own one of the largest hot sauce collections in America today. Congratulations to you for coming over to the Good Side :) Hope you enjoy them.....
  • JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    i put them in every stir fry i make.

me too! so good! :)

you could put them in cold or hot sandwiches, chop them up and add them to black bean burgers, or just eat them cold with a little light ranch or sauce lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I love bell peppers. My favorite ways to cook with them are to roast or grill them and eat on sandwiches (especially good with hummus). In stir fry. I also chop and add them to many sauces.

They are also great raw chopped and added to bean or grain salads for crunch.
  • PHYYOU
    PHYYOU Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love them sauteed with onions over hamburger or on baked potatoes.
    They are also good in a pita pocket with cucumber, ground chicken burger and light dressing, or on a sandwich like subway makes.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cutting the bell peppers into small pieces and then stir fry them with olive oil and use a little bit of teryaki, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg.
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I grill them with a tiny bit of Olive oil and some organic no salt seasoning from Costco. They are really good this way.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I like the red peppers best, they seem to be the sweetest. One simple recipe I really like is slicing them up into quarters, spreading Philadelphia cream cheese (usually the herb & garlic) on the inside, and baking for 20min.
    As mentioned, dicing them up into salads or mixtures might also be a good start. :)
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I add red, yellow and orange peppers to mac & cheese, stir fries, fried rice, pizza, salads, sauces, stews, casseroles, just about anything you want that uses vegies.
  • kymcakes67
    Options
    I used them in stirfry, in my pasta sauces and in chili all for flavor and color.
  • healthyskinnystrong
    Options
    Trying chopping them up really really finely in a stir fry or a sauce, red bell peppers are quite sweet so they'd be nice like that, or maybe try mixing some green pepper in to your salad?
  • MegsHutch90
    MegsHutch90 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Wow. Lots of ideas. Thank you all! I will give some of these a shot :)