TDEE?

Options
I am quite confused about all the talk regarding how many calories you should be eating a day to lose weight. Scooby's says my TDEE is 2,282. So now, how do i use that number to figure out what I should be eating? I am 5' 1" and havebeen eating 1,200 cals plus eating back about 200-300 from exercise each day. It seems to be going well so far but everywhere I turn there seems to be a thread about how 1,200 just isn't enough. Help! please and thank you! :huh:

Replies

• Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am quite confused about all the talk regarding how many calories you should be eating a day to lose weight. Scooby's says my TDEE is 2,282. So now, how do i use that number to figure out what I should be eating? I am 5' 1" and havebeen eating 1,200 cals plus eating back about 200-300 from exercise each day. It seems to be going well so far but everywhere I turn there seems to be a thread about how 1,200 just isn't enough. Help! please and thank you! :huh:

Just eat 2300 - 460 each day - regardless of exercise or not.

About 1800 each day.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    TDEE includes exercise. So to have a 1 lb/week loss, you need 500 calorie daily deficit. So eat 1782 daily. Or round down to 1700 to lose a little faster... up to 1800 to lose a little slower. Keep up your workout schedule.

But if you're eating 1200 + workout calories, you're eating more like 1400-1500... so just add a few more.

The goal should really be to eat as much as you can and still lose weight... then it's more like normal. If you eat way less than normal, lose quickly, what did you learn about eating normally along the way?

Small deficits FTW.

EDIT: and since you only have 9 lbs to lose, you could probably lose them eating more like 2000 calories/day. You'd have a daily deficit that would give you 1/2 lb weight loss weekly.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    TDEE includes exercise. So to have a 1 lb/week loss, you need 500 calorie daily deficit. So eat 1782 daily. Or round down to 1700 to lose a little faster... up to 1800 to lose a little slower. Keep up your workout schedule.

But if you're eating 1200 + workout calories, you're eating more like 1400-1500... so just add a few more.

The goal should really be to eat as much as you can and still lose weight... then it's more like normal. If you eat way less than normal, lose quickly, what did you learn about eating normally along the way?

Small deficits FTW.

EDIT: and since you only have 9 lbs to lose, you could probably lose them eating more like 2000 calories/day. You'd have a daily deficit that would give you 1/2 lb weight loss weekly.

:

Thank you! That answer rocks. Now I get it... :bigsmile:
  • lovethyneighbor
    lovethyneighbor Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't understand all of the abbreviations. What is TDEE and FTW?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I don't understand all of the abbreviations. What is TDEE and FTW?
    total daily energy expenditure.
    for the win.

RTFM.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    With only a few pounds left to go, do TDEE-10%.

If you calculated as sedentary, eat back exercise calories.

If you did not, then input your exercise as burning 1 calorie on MFP so it doesn't mess up your calorie count.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    *swoops in* I WILL ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS *pose*

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate = The number of calories your body would burn in a 24 hour period if you were COMATOSE. (This is your minimum average daily caloric intake.)

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure = The number of calories your body burns in a normal, everyday, average 24 hour period - YES, this DOES include your workouts. (This is your maximum average daily caloric intake if you want to lose weight.)

"CUT" = Some number in between your BMR and TDEE where you should be eating if you want to lose weight. Eating about 85% of your TDEE (also called a 15% "cut") is usually recommended.

NOW YOU KNOW. *flies away*
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's the calories your body spends just to stay the same weight. I calculated my TDEE using the sedentary multiplier since MFP adds my exercise cals to my "allowance". The article I read said that in most cases, you shouldn't set your calorie deficit goal for more than 20% of your TDEE. For example, if your TDEE is 2,400. Your calorie intake goal should not be less than 1,920 calories (2,400 - 480). If your deficit is too much more than that, your metabolism can slow and you won't lose the weight.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    <
    Going to change her cals now...
  • anasantos61
    anasantos61 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    *swoops in* I WILL ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS *pose*

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate = The number of calories your body would burn in a 24 hour period if you were COMATOSE. (This is your minimum average daily caloric intake.)

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure = The number of calories your body burns in a normal, everyday, average 24 hour period - YES, this DOES include your workouts. (This is your maximum average daily caloric intake if you want to lose weight.)

"CUT" = Some number in between your BMR and TDEE where you should be eating if you want to lose weight. Eating about 85% of your TDEE (also called a 15% "cut") is usually recommended.

NOW YOU KNOW. *flies away*

*swoons*

:laugh: