Sell me on Whey Protein.

Options

Replies

• leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Tastes like *kitten* no matter which way you spin it, but most days I cannot reach my protein goal without it. It's a means to an end, if you don't want/need to take it, don't.

most days I can get by without it (and I like the way casein tastes in available concoctions anyway), but my experience mimmicks this.

It is an undeniably good source of protein though.

I understand casein way more than whey... however, if you drink to much of it you start smelling like stale coffee. :noway:
  • Derpinaaa
    Derpinaaa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I can't drink a straight shake, but I use it in a lot of baking. I make protein muffins and add it to brownies, and I make some bangin' double chocolate chip pancakes with it. But that's all I find it to be good for.

Care to share some recipes?

For the pancakes: 1 banana (mashed), 1 scoop powder (I use Dymatize Elite Fudge Brownie), 1 tsp vanilla, and an egg. Mix, cook as you would pancakes on low-mid heat. Add chocolate chips as desired.

For everything else, I use a box mix (I'm lazy). Sub oil for unsweetened applesauce, eggs as called for, and add a scoop (or two) of powder (again, I use Dymatize Fudge Brownie for everything). Usually requires extra water, and bam, a sneaky, yummy source of protein.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    No need to be so touchy people.... I'm not attacking your consumption of whey. I honestly was looking for perspective from faithful whey drinkers!! That's all
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Convenience is the main thing for me. I like milk, but it spoils. While meat can provide the protein, sometimes I just don't want to bother with the preparation. Whey is comparatively easy to store and use- just add water. But I'm not what I'd call a "faithful drinker". I just have some on-hand for when my diet falls short.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Because it tastes yummy in smoothies and boosts my protein intake for the day, so why not? :)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    No need to be so touchy people.... I'm not attacking your consumption of whey. I honestly was looking for perspective from faithful whey drinkers!! That's all

No offense taken. Plenty of misinformation out there claiming that whey attackz the fatz yo.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I can't drink a straight shake, but I use it in a lot of baking. I make protein muffins and add it to brownies, and I make some bangin' double chocolate chip pancakes with it. But that's all I find it to be good for.

Care to share some recipes?

For the pancakes: 1 banana (mashed), 1 scoop powder (I use Dymatize Elite Fudge Brownie), 1 tsp vanilla, and an egg. Mix, cook as you would pancakes on low-mid heat. Add chocolate chips as desired.

For everything else, I use a box mix (I'm lazy). Sub oil for unsweetened applesauce, eggs as called for, and add a scoop (or two) of powder (again, I use Dymatize Fudge Brownie for everything). Usually requires extra water, and bam, a sneaky, yummy source of protein.

Much obliged! Definitely going to try these this weekend.
  • chrisandover
    Options
    Pea Protein or Brown rice Protein also good options
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    For people like me, who have a hard time meeting their calorie goal for the day, It really helps a lot. It's not just about people who want to get lean. I drink it for calorie and of course, protein goals. I never meet my goal...even with a shake, but a shake helps a lot. I have to watch my sugar, so I tend to only drink it on days I know I'm not going to go way over on sugar and especially on days I work out. (Which has been a lil bit) But it does help and you can't get everything from meat, fish, and all the other stuff without going way over on carbs and other things. Oh, and I use the Soy protein powder because of my stomach issues. :)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    5"3"
    25% BF

What's the point? I find that for the same calories and less carbs I can eat lean meat and actually fill up. So why do I see so many women drinking protein? (If you are figure or power lifter I get it). But why should your average fitness-minded woman drink protein?

the ONLY point to whey protein is as a supplement. if you're meeting your nutritional needs with whole foods, you don't need it. period.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I think you can come up with as many reason for as you can against drinking it. I drink it to up my protein consumption and also because one shake replaces a meal, fills me up and contains less calories than I would eat normally. Also, once I have bariatric surgery protein consumption becomes very important and that is one way to get the numbers.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't have the appetite but know I know the protein. Well did, when I was lifting.
  • AbLikesPie
    AbLikesPie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein powders after a vigorous workout. It helps the protein absorb in to the body faster than meat which I think is better after a workout.
    I usually get the chocolate flavored ones, mix the powder in a tablespoon of water then add it to my milk, I think it tastes good and is a good post-workout reward (chocolate!).
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I use it when I don't want to make a meal just for me or if I'm in a hurry. I also use it in a smoothie with fruit to give myself a "treat" It mixes up thick and I feel like I'm eating ice cream. Works for me!!
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    however, if you drink to much of it you start smelling like stale coffee. :noway:

What, is this true? Lol. I just started with whey isolate protein powder. I got it because even though I love them, I can't be eating steak & eggs all the time, I sometimes get sick of turkey slices & tuna & tilapia, and chicken and I have a love-hate relationship.

Also I wanted to limit carbs. However, my <1g carb powder is unflavoured & tastes disgusting without adding a million grams of carbs & sugar (via milk & fruit, or yogurt & fruit, + sugar). So the macros work out to be only marginally pro-protein, compared to the warm chickpea/broccoli/cauliflower salad I'd prefer. Spent 60 buckaroos on it though, so it's going DOWN.

(no actually, the shake probably does give me ^ protein, but still not enough fibre, & is less filling than the salad)
  • Dakryn
    Dakryn Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I usually have a shake after I workout or if I need my goals met...but like today, I have been craving sweets all day, so after my workout tonight, I get to have my shake and it helps with my sweet tooth, but i have to work out before I get a shake, lol
    And when there is a million things to do at home and with the kids, Ill grab a shake just because I can...even though I eat fairly well, I cannot consume 100-150 grams of protein in a day...ive tried and it just about made me sick...so, its cheap, its easy, and it helps your body after a workout...so why not?
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    A lot of times when I get home from a long hard work out I am hangry. I drink a protein shake and feel better. Since I have started doing that I have noticed that in combination with cardio and weights I'm looking more toned/defined
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    One advantage I really find with it is per gram of protein, it is generally lower sodium. Not everyone has to worry about sodium levels, but I've got negative family history there, so.. yeah.

I could nosh on chicken all day if I wanted to, but unless I bought the tasteless stuff that is really low in sodium (would require more prep time and effort too), I would destroy my sodium goal every day, and not in a good way. Eggs are still relatively high in sodium - whey protein is usually much lower.

It's definitely more a supplement to hit your goal than anything else though, in my eyes. I use the stuff religiously - no way, like today for example, I would have hit my protein goal and stayed around my sodium limit if I didn't use whey supplements!
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and have a protein goal of 120g. There have been numerous times I've come really close to buying some whey, but I just know I prefer eating my food so much more than drinking it (I do realize it can go in food too). Anyway, I plan ahead and cook from scratch a lot to get to my protein goal. Most of my snacks are protein oriented. If not for this concerted effort, there's no way I could get to 120 without a supplement. That being said, I surely understand people not having the time, or not choosing to spend their time cooking as much as I do. Completely personal preference and both work!
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I only drink a protein shake when I'm short on protein for the day.
    Ditto.
    I also get lazy once in a while, easy fix is protein powder.