Trail running pals, I need you!

Options
I need some trail running pals to help motivate me and teach me things they have learned from experience. If you're 40+, even better, but it's not required. If you do wish to add me, please tell me why so I know who you are.
Thank you kindly!

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    bump
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Take it steady and let your ankles strengthen, its easy to roll them when you first start out.

Strengthen your core, when that fails so does everything else.

Take a phone if you run alone just in case.

Have fun and don't be afraid to have fun.

Oh and ignore the witty comments off walkers, they get very jealous when you pass them uphill.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Can I just ride along on this thread as an over-40 trail running noob, too? I did a 5-miler a while ago and I just did a 10 miler a few weeks ago. I'm looking forward to more. I don't have many tips yet other than don't be afraid to walk up the hills and save your energy and mud is sometimes way deeper than it looks. :)
  • camelid2
    camelid2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you start to fall and it isn't rock below you, let yourself fall. Grabbing a tree was a dumb way to stop myself when I first started! ;)
  • TheYoungys
    TheYoungys Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Not sure what help I would be but I have been trail/hill running for about 8 years. I usually only do 5ish miles in the hills at present though I have done and intend to again run a mountain race in Germany.
    I guess my best advice to newbies would be that when approaching hills just dial back your speed but keep running. I always felt defeated if I walked so I would just keep my running position, slow down and be sure not to lean in too much to allow my lungs space to open.
    Also, and I hope I am not being too rude in case you are aware of this already, is to keep looking about 6 feet ahead of you on the ground. Then, like mountain biking you can see what roots, rocks and stumps are in the way and 'pick a line'.
    Enjoy!

Edit, ha ha, just saw someone else was advised to walk hills. To each their own and if it helps, go for it. I was always too stubborn to stop. :-)
  • tanetti
    tanetti Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that your speed is going to be slower the more difficult the trail is--even a flat, smooth dirt trail is going to be slower than asphalt or concrete. Enjoy!
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    Take it steady and let your ankles strengthen, its easy to roll them when you first start out.

Strengthen your core, when that fails so does everything else.

Take a phone if you run alone just in case.

Have fun and don't be afraid to have fun.

Oh and ignore the witty comments off walkers, they get very jealous when you pass them uphill.
    Thank you for your reply. I haven't been able to trail run much but did when I was younger. I read that just walking the trails would help strengthen my ankles. Do you find that to be true? If so, I'll do more of that on my 'off' days. Thank you about that core tip too, I didn't really give it much thought. I am lifting so that should help some. Thanks, I plan on enjoying every minute of it and can't wait for mud season to get overwith so I can get out there.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that your speed is going to be slower the more difficult the trail is--even a flat, smooth dirt trail is going to be slower than asphalt or concrete. Enjoy!

This! I am so slow on my trail runs. I run nearby on the foothills of mountains and jeeze! I am slow. I thought it was crazy how slow I was, but there is a lot more for you to work on out there. My glutes get a thorough work out and my ankles and core are stronger. I'm still working on healing up my knees from a kneeling injury in early December, but it's awesome overall. I love it when you get to the point that you can no longer run uphill due to it being so steep.
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    Can I just ride along on this thread as an over-40 trail running noob, too? I did a 5-miler a while ago and I just did a 10 miler a few weeks ago. I'm looking forward to more. I don't have many tips yet other than don't be afraid to walk up the hills and save your energy and mud is sometimes way deeper than it looks. :)
    Thank you for your reply. It looks like there aren't too many of us 'older' folks on the trails. I was hoping to find more! Thank you for the tip about the hills.. I probably would have made myself (try to) run up them. About the mud, I kind of fear running through that but I guess it depends on how much it has rained recently. lol Do you have special 'trail running' shoes that you wear or do you just use regular running shoes and wash them?? I have a good pair of Brooks that I use on the treadmill, paved trails, etc., but I wont wear them on a dirt trail. Anyway, thanks again for your advice. :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Started out running trails exclusively almost 10 years ago. Transitioned to the road, but I try to do one challenging trail run every week. Squarely in the 40+ crowd as well. :wink:
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I have a dirt/grass trail that I run on near my home and I agree it's slower, probably for me because I'm super cautious about where I'm going to place my foot for each step. It's pretty much packed down in the summer and I find it more comfortable than asphalt, like it takes away some of the blunt force or something. IMO going slower out there beats the road or treadmill ANY day and makes the time fly. I just love it, and for me it's more addicting than runner's high and I won't race on a trail anyway. I really want to be alone out there, away from everyone. :)
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    If you start to fall and it isn't rock below you, let yourself fall. Grabbing a tree was a dumb way to stop myself when I first started! ;)
    Thank you for your response. I hadn't even considered what I would do if I fell. Great advice!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start trail running in the next few weeks - may I hijack your thread momentarily to ask if some special or different type of shoe is necessary or can I run in my regular running shoes?
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    I started trail running last summer and LOVE it more than any kind of running. Great thread!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Whether or not you need specific shoes depends on the trail.

Trail running shoes usually have more aggressive tread. Some models are water proof, some have extra protection for pounding down hill or rock plates to stop you from killing your foot on a rock.
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have remote hilly sand trails out my back door, that go forever, I trail run 2-5 mi/day and HIIT all summer and fall, And I snowshoe the trails in the winter, feel free to add me
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you need specific shoes depends on the trail.

Trail running shoes usually have more aggressive tread. Some models are water proof, some have extra protection for pounding down hill or rock plates to stop you from killing your foot on a rock.

Thanks! Will keep that in mind when I go check out the trails I'm interested in.
  • rdrage73
    rdrage73 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Brooks Cascadia trail running shoes. I also tend to run up the hills, all hills, albeit slower and if I absolutely need to, I'll slowly run in place at the top for a few seconds to get my air back and continue on. When I first started I found myself stopping or walking too much and I feel I get a more purposeful workout when I run up the hills.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I run trails. I do ultras. I'm about to leave my 40s and go into the next age bracket. I'll still enter road races but not as much as I used to. I enter trail races but mostly at the 50k distance and above. I really enjoy just opening a map and exploring places I haven't run in before. I've gotten very comfortable route finding and have only gotten a little bit lost (so far).
  • TheYoungys
    TheYoungys Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that I'm not the only one too stubborn to walk the hills, With regards to shoes, I would definitely buy trail running shoes if you can (and intend to spend most of your time on the trails). I, also, am in my early 40s and am so glad that I decided to start trail running all those years ago. I always hated running on roads and would always be defeated after a mile but on trails and hills I could go forever. :-)