Hashimoto's Disease

Options
Hi everyone,

Despite my highest hopes, I just received a phone call from my doctor confirming that I do indeed have Hashimoto's disease. In discussing my upcoming tests/blood work with family and friends, I discovered that thyroid diseases are much more common then I was ever aware. I'm hoping this post will help me find other MFP'ers who have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's or any other form of hypothyroidism to form a community where we can help to educate, support, and encourage each other through our trials and successes coping with this disease. Any suggestions, advice, and friend requests to continue to support one another would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :smile:

Replies

• AlexBoBalex79
    AlexBoBalex79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm 33 and was diagnosed 9 months ago w/ hypothyroidism. I think it's been a contributor for my weight gain and slow weight loss. I'd love to see what others say about this too.
  • ryan57ford
    ryan57ford Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hashimoto's is a interesting disease due to the fact that it is a Autoimmune disease. I am not sure what your personality type is, but it would be worth finding a good acupuncturist and seeing if there might be a herbal supplementation that you could try and see if it could help with your body's immune response. There are studies that are finding that some autoimmune diseases are linked to certain foods or other things we come into contact with, and I know the Acupuncturist I work with is really good at running tests to try and determine if there is a underlying allergy that you are unaware of.

It's defiantly worth a shot, and it sure beats spending a lifetime on meds and listening to doctors who are more about dealing with symptoms than trying to find the root cause.

If you come up with any questions while your going through this feel free to hit me up, I am finishing up my Doctors of Chiropractic degree and have about 10 years of schooling in the health field, I am no expert in this particular disease, but I may still be able to help out

Good luck with everything!
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    I suspect I'm about to be confirmed Hashimotos tomorrow when my labs come back, and the general diagnosis of hypothyroid is really new for me too. It's been kind of a relief to know it's not all in my head or some moral failing, and simultaneously kind of overwhelming to absorb all the crazy and conflicting info out there on all the aspects of being hypothyroid (foods to eat or avoid, how best to balance dosage, stress hormones and other interactions, the whole 9 yards!). I'd love to connect as well.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have had hashimotos for 21 yrs. I take a hormone replacement everyday. As long as I tske this very tiny very cheap pill everyday my level s are normal. If I stop or run out of medication then alll hell breaks loose. No problem losing weight as long as I take my med. I really dont see how accupuncture will fix this. . Just like a diabetics pancreas no longer makes insulin. So they have to inject with insulin to replace, ( or die.) Seriously, its really not thst big of a deal.
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I have had hashimotos for 21 yrs. I take a hormone replacement everyday. As long as I tske this very tiny very cheap pill everyday my level s are normal. If I stop or run out of medication then alll hell breaks loose. No problem losing weight as long as I take my med. I really dont see how accupuncture will fix this. . Just like a diabetics pancreas no longer makes insulin. So they have to inject with insulin to replace, ( or die.) Seriously, its really not thst big of a deal.

Wht pills are u on? I'm going DR next wednesday to do a physical and chk my thyroids. I've read up On Hashimoto and afraid that u have some of the symptoms....