Too much sugar from fruits

According to my food diary, I eat too much sugar, most of which I get from eating one banana, one orange, and one apple a day. Are those sugars bad, and do they really count against me?

Replies

• estrellas8
    estrellas8 Posts: 14 Member
    I have the same problem. Can someone give us some advice?
  • Not all fruit is created equal. Bananas are loaded with sugar! I cannot eat a lot of fruit and when I do I eat strawberries, blueberries, etc. I try to stick with the ones that are lower on the glycemic index.
  • pixiee88
    pixiee88 Posts: 52
    It's the same for me too. Would love some advice on this!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    My advice would be to disregard unless you have a medical condition that warrants watching sugar. If anything, worry about added/refined sugar; don't worry about your fruit. I don't think too many people are here trying to lose weight because they over did it on their berries and apples.

Manage your macros, not your micros.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    I don't track my sugar at all as it has no bearing on my weight loss. Naturally occurring sugars really shouldn't count against you, I'd be more concerned about processed and refined sugars, if I tracked them at all.
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    As long as you are not eating an excessive amount of fruit (like a lot) the amount of natural sugar you are getting from those three fruits is fine. I always go over on my sugar daily because I eat fruit.

You only need to really worry about the sugar if you are getting it from processed foods
  • Tercob
    Tercob Posts: 151 Member
    Glad someone brought that up. I was trippin off mine
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    bump
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    it is still sugar, try eating more produce , veggies, I only eat 1/2 apple a day, 1/4 cup of blueberries, strawberries. I am am trying to reduce bodyfat and this meal plan was desinged for me. give it a try for awhile and see what happens :smile:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Don't worry about it. The sugar hysteria will pass, and we'll move on to some new nutrient to flip out over. I'll give it a few more months before everyone starts talking about how evil non-heme iron is or something.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Just track your carbs.

Don't track your sugar unless you have a medical reason to do so.

Exercise the search button function.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Fructose = good
    sucrose = bad

Fruit is high in fructose it is natural sugar. Soda, candy bars, etc are full of sucrose. Eat lots of fruit. I eat 3-6 servings a day and I am losing weight. Eat lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains and protein! Yum yum! :bigsmile:
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    If you are trying to lose weight, it is a good idea to cut back a little on the fruit or go w/those lower on the glycemic scale. Add some extra veggies to your daily diet instead. As my Dr told me, sugar is sugar....
  • estrellas8
    estrellas8 Posts: 14 Member
    Thanks for all the good advice :)
  • I have recently started to track sugar at somebodies suggestion, looked like I was doing most things right but weight was not moving, when I changed settings was horrified at how much I was eating - alot of fruit as well as food content (not to mention sugar in my coffe) soon added up. Pleased to say now that I am tracking it the scales have started moving - yay - everybody is different but certainly cutting down on fruit and being more aware of sugar content is working for me at the moment. :smile:
  • amye004
    amye004 Posts: 32
    According to my food diary, I eat too much sugar, most of which I get from eating one banana, one orange, and one apple a day. Are those sugars bad, and do they really count against me?

There are lots of benefits to fruit including vitamins, fibre, antioxidents, and tastiness.Yes it has sugar but that is not the only thing going for it so please don't concentrate on that.

I swapped out the sugar on my tracker because I would always go over and it was driving me crazy because it was through things like fruit. Now I don't have to look at it and am much happier for it! :)