Replies

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    You do have a receding hairline.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Personally I never have been able to do the 'little and often' eating and I don't really see the point in it. Only herbivores graze constantly - omnivores and carnivores in the wild tend to have periods of boom and bust based on availability of food.

I'm also convinced that the 'grazing' culture has contributed to Western obesity levels if only because the 'snack' food that is most readily available in a pick up and go format is calorie dense.

The "grazing culture" and not the food choices? I graze and have lost almost 30 Lbs. Before, I never grazed...skipped meals regularly and put on the 40 Lbs I now am trying to lose. Now, I'm not saying that I lost 30 Lbs because I graze or that I gained weight because of skipping meals...but that's because correlation =/= causation.
  • K_Train450
    K_Train450 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure my hairline is fine lol
  • KathrynKennewell108
    KathrynKennewell108 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Personally I never have been able to do the 'little and often' eating and I don't really see the point in it. Only herbivores graze constantly - omnivores and carnivores in the wild tend to have periods of boom and bust based on availability of food.

I'm also convinced that the 'grazing' culture has contributed to Western obesity levels if only because the 'snack' food that is most readily available in a pick up and go format is calorie dense.

Well said. I think - minimise sugar intake because it mucks up your hunger cues, and let your instincts do the rest. When you have your hunger hormones in balance everything else usually falls into place... provided the emotional related eating stays in check.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Most days I will eat 3 meals and 3 snacks. This isn't an attempt to "keep my metabolism charged" but rather to eat before I get hungry. There are days where I don't have all my snacks because I'm having a bigger meal OR because I get super busy and I've missed snack time and it's now meal time.

If I dont get super hungry I eat better, thats why I eat 6 times a day. I usually eat my last snack after 10:00pm too. Hasnt affected me at all.
  • gypsylosefat
    Options
    i like eating 6-8 times a day but i am a grazer. i really think you need to just do what suits your body. i cant eat much at any given time so i do it this way but i know that a lot of people find one large meal suits them. there is no right or wrong way to eat, listen to your body and the rest will follow.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I eat one meal.. it starts at about 8am and ends at about 9pm.. eh.. maybe two as it's hard to nosh while at the gym..

I eat all day long. lol.

Plus.. me not eating for that long.. is dangerous to other people.. not so much myself.

LOL! This!!!
  • basicjim
    basicjim Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with 1 meal per day. Studies prove your metabolism is just as high on 1/day vs 6/day.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

And a NY Times article saying the same thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/health/23really.html?src=sch&pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Up to each individual how many times they eat.
    I eat when I get noticeably hungry or start feeling low on energy. That might be twice a day or five times a day, it varies, I do not follow a set pattern. Sometimes I have a banana when I get up, often I work out fasted, sometimes I can go ten hours without eating, sometimes 14. It gets tedious to analyse the minutiae of eating all the time.