I don't get it...

Options
I ate, I was under my calories not too far under maybe 100 or less and that's before the work out points, I went to the gym every single stinkin day and either walked or rode the bike...get on the scale..weight GAIN! very discouraging makes you feel like what's the difference I could have had the same effect if I laid my butt on the couch all week.

Replies

• KimmyBee
    KimmyBee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat!

Maybe youre just getting more buff and dont know it
  • lick25
    lick25 Posts: 27
    Options
    Go by measurements and see if you're losing inches. Are your clothes getting looser? If so then don't panic!! as the last person said, Muscle weighs more than fat so if you didn't exercise before much then you'll be building up you're muscles now :-)
  • Sheila1968
    Sheila1968 Posts: 106
    Options
    How far under were you when you INCLUDE the workout calories? I was in the same boat earlier this year, and realized I wasn't eating enough and my body was going into "starvation" mode and clinging to every calorie. I was counting calories and staying o.k. there, but I wasn't taking into consideration all the exercising I was doing. In reality I was probably netting 900 - 1000 a day instead of the 1200-1300 I was eating.

Just a thought. I also hate to point out (but should) that when you start working out you WILL add some muscle weight. However, if your clothes are still fitting the same or better, than you ARE making progrss. I used to weigh 130 all through high school and college, but when I started weightlifting and biking, I put on 10 pounds. Clothes still fit, though, so that was not a problem.

(My problem now is that I'm in perimenopause and the pills I'm on are making it harder to keep the weight off.) So now I'm trying to get back to 140!!! I'll never see 130 again, and probably don't want to, as I like being fit and toned instead of skinny and weak. :)
  • kelscross
    kelscross Posts: 11
    Options
    after the work outs I was under an average of 500-700 calories a day. My alloted calories before the exercise is 1940 or something so I'm eating believe me...lol. Just doesn't seem to get anywhere when you are doing everything it says to do and the message you get says...you will be xx weight in so many weeks when you aren't budging the scale.
  • lick25
    lick25 Posts: 27
    Options
    I've just noticed your ticker says you've already lost 10lbs. Have you hit a plateux (think thats how it's spelt!)? I've only been on here for 1 week but I see them mentioned a lot and I think there's a lot of info on how to deal with them in the forums if you look. That might help????
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If your muscles are not used to working out or the type of workouts you are now completeing are different or more intense your muscles may be retaining water as they repair. This is can cause a temporary weight gain. It's ok and is actually a good thing. Do not worry about it unless you continue to gain after a couple weeks or so. Eventually you should see a loss for all your hard work. Hang in there! :happy:
  • summersmi
    summersmi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That little message at the bottom of your daily diary is about as accurate as the BMI calculator. It is averaged for most people and your own personal results might not be the same. It sounds like you are at a plateau, try varying your workout. Do some exercises you are not used to doing. When your muscles become accostomed to a certain type of activity they will not be worked as hard as needed. If you are not feeling a little sore than it is definitly time to change. Also the others who have mentioned muscle weight are spot on.