Would I lose weight faster if I ate more?

Options
ekaustin7
ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
I'm a little over 2/3 of the way to my goal weight, with only a few pounds left to lose. The weight had been coming off at a pretty steady rate, but now that I'm almost there it is slowing down quite a bit. I've been doing a lot of reading up on TDEE and BMR. My goals that were set by MFP put me at 1310 calories per day. I work out every day and typically always eat back my exercise calories. However, my BMR is about 1500 calories and my TDEE seems to be around 2300 calories. I have MFP set to lose about 1.5 lbs per week, which means a 750 calorie deficit. However, if I subtract 750 from 2300, I get about 1500. Should I up my calories to lose the last few pounds, or keep it where it is?

Replies

• ChristineLondon
    ChristineLondon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you only have a few more pounds to lose, weight loss will be slower, and it should be.

Change your goals to lose 1/2 lb per week instead. If your TDEE is correct at 2300 calories, it should put you around 2,000 calories per day.

My personal opinion is that when there are only a few pounds left to lose, the number on the scale really doesn't matter so much anymore since wight fluctuates by a few pounds every day anyway. Ditch the scale, eat at maintenance, lift all the weights.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to your goal weight, the closer to your maintenence calorie intake you need to eat. If you have 10lbs or less to lose I would suggest eating about 2000 a day (not as a net, just as a grand total). The net function on MFP can make eating the right amount diffecult when you log exercise calories.

I don't know if you have already seen this site, but it can help you out:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

If you don't have much left to lose I would suggest eating TDEE-10%.