Help with protein

Options
Hi all. I've been on 1350 calls a day for a little while and unfortunately not losing weight despite working out hard around 3 times a week. I decided to take a look at my nutrition details and it looks as though I'm eating too many carbs and not enough protein (40g-ish). I don't eat a lot of meat - only chicken really. And eggs get boring!

What are people's experience of upping their protein within the calorie limit, doesn't help kick a weight loss plateau? I have around 10lb to lose.

Also, is it worth considering a protein shake to make up for the protein shortfall? I can't imagine eating 100g of protein to be honest so this could be an option, but I don't want to get bulky as I'm quite short.

Any advice appreciated. :)

Replies

• atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    As a woman you can't get bulky, its pretty much biologically impossible. Eating enough protein is crucial! I try to get at least 100 grams a day which is hard because I don't eat a lot of meat and I don't like eggs. Some things to consider are lowfat cottage cheese, string cheese, different types of fish, and yes protein shakes. I have one or two a day depending on how far I am from my protein goal. I also avoid pasta and bread and eat things like beans, lentils, farro, and quinoa instead.
    My macros are set at 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein. All of them are important so its key to eat a balanced diet.
    Well thats my two cents anyways. =)
  • sarahsamuels82
    sarahsamuels82 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks. I don't really like fish either, so I think I will have to look at the shakes! Is whey protein the best? Do you think it helps with looking 'toned' with exercise?

Also, they are quite calorific aren't they, so do you count these calories as you would do with any other food on mfp?
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    'toned' is sort of an interesting concept, if you mean having your muscles be more defined than the best way to go is weight lifting and eating properly. Thats what I'm working on doing, lowering my body fat and building my muscles. I personally use whey protein but there are tons of options available, i'd search about it because there are threads about them almost daily. The kind I use is from GNC and is only like 93 calories for 20 grams of protein a scoop which isn't that bad compared to other types. I log them. I would start with having one after your workouts, thats what most people do. I sometimes add one to my breakfast as well.
  • SpunkySue0611
    Options
    If you like yogurt, give Chobani Greek yogurt a try! Greek yogurt has more protein - about 14mg - and less sugars than traditional yogurts. I know this has sure helped me with my proteins. It's excellent as a snack or as an addition to any meal. I try to eat 1-2 a day. I hope this helps :)