How do you get yourself to the gym

Options

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Some days where I really don't feel like going I tell myself that I'll just go and do 10 minutes, if after 10 minutes I still don't want to work out I can stop. I nearly always end up finishing my workout this way
  • 11MichelleL
    Options
    Another basement and TV room workout person. I didn't mind the gym when it was convenient and FREE but once my company was bought and the gym cost money at the new job I took the cash I would've spent and hit craigslist for a really nice set of weights (squat rack, bench press, etc) with NO WAITING. :)

I am also really enjoying Nike+ Kinect for my cardio now that the weather is so bad. Makes me realize how tough the running was on my knees, too. I am not much of an xbox user otherwise, so I feel like that purchase is more justified than it was before.

Guess I'm motivated by saving money and no commute.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I go like it's my job. If I have any kind of discussion with myself, I'll talk myself out of it and resume natural sloth-like tendency :laugh:
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I look at how sad I look in my fat pictures and then I get excited to go to the gym!
  • luftballoons33
    luftballoons33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I make a plan to meet my mom there. Simply not wanting to hear a lecture from her about skipping the gym is enough to get me there on a day I'm reallllly not feeling it. If she's not available to schedule a workout date, then I make sure I tell her (or someone) I'm going to the gym. That way, I have to go. I'd hate to lie if they ask how my workout was, and I'd hate more to say I just didn't go :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I just say stuff like, "Man I don't feel like doing this at all today. Ugh. This sucks. I'd rather just sit on the couch. *sigh*", and as I'm doing so I'm dragging my *kitten* over to the gym. That's all there is to it. Suck it up :smile:
  • eekasmouse
    Options
    Hire a personal trainer. Something about paying $65 an hour ensures I never skip a workout!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I don't...I go in my bedroom and push play lol As soon as I get home from my morning bus runs, I already have my workout clothes laid out the night before, I tend to the cats, get my 2nd wind, eat a banana and get into my workout clothes before I have time to think about what I'm doing. And on days I REALLY need to push myself, I just think about how good I feel afterwards!
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Dedication. Commitment!
    Thinking about summer. Boats. Beaches. Pools. Parties. Bikinis.
    It's completely mental for me now. Yesterday I said "aw well, I'm sore from Sunday's leg workout. I will rest today." Got home and said...nope I'm going.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I get changed. I put on my tank top and my sneakers and put my hair up and fill up my water bottle.

By the time I've done all that I figure I'm basically halfway done with my workout.

Also telling anyone that I'm going to the gym is a pretty good incentive to go. Since I've been going 5-6 times a week, people know that I go there, expect me there, and kinda look up to me for my dedication to it. My friends are my fans I'd hate to disappoint them ^//^
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    My husband drove me there, even with my complaints, three times a week. I was fighting against myself and he believed in me. It became habit after that and now I'm the one telling him I need to add more sessions. XD
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    99% drive 1% walk.
  • shortie1am
    Options
    I leave my gym stuff in my car at all times and go right from work. Sometimes I tell myself I'm just going to go there to watch TV and that usually helps :tongue:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I am have become addicted to the gym...it is my passion...i LOVE it...i love what lifting has done for me.

I cannot go right now because of my back...i must rest it, and it makes me sad.

sorry for the pity party, BUT i would give anything to be able to go.

you are ABLE...GO.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I drive.

I go for ME. I'm accountable only to myself. I've set goals for myself and I'm totally focused on those goals. I have been for nearly 2 years. It's a lifestyle, a lifetime commitment.

If you don't go , you don't go. If you go, you go. TRULY. You are the only one who can motivate YOU. You choose.

Maybe you are not READY. No harm, no foul in that.

http://www.coachcalorie.com/questions-before-weight-loss/
  • bradley8161984
    Options
    Mind over matter. You either want to continue the forward progress that you've made or.you don't. Get up and go!!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I schedule the time in specifically on my Google calendar. That was it's there, and I can't argue with myself, since it's been penciled in.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i've decided that exercising is going to be part of my life. simple as that.
  • chefwrx
    chefwrx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My answer would be discipline and dedication to clearly defined goals. I’m a driven person, and don’t like things to get in my way. Being tired is not going to stop me from going to the gym. It’s all about your mindset, I love going to the gym. I suspect that you might dread it. Maybe you could find something you love doing and look forward to it?
  • jeanmoreno
    jeanmoreno Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    When I dont feel like it ,i still go cause i know when i will put my kit on,my music on,i will get in the mood and when i will finish,whatever the pain,I will not regret it ! I get my best workouts when "I don't feel like ! " Get yourself some clothes you feel good in and some tunes ! :-)