bullying in the workplace

Options
I started a new job about a month ago and the other people I have been working with have made a few comments I have overheard.

Yesterday one of the receptionists asked someone else if they think I am pregnant or just fat and then this morning one of the other PT's was like to the receptionists.. "Oh I was going to tell you something but I can't now" nodding her head my way.
I thought this was a great job, and it is.. But these comments are making me feel really insecure and down on myself, and like I don't want to go to work...

Should I bring it to the bosses attention, or is that causing too much drama?

Replies

• _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Grow a set and talk to your coworkers first.
  • skinnybunny_x
    Options
    Is this junior high, or a big girl job?

Who cares what these people think or say? If they're attacking you, they're obviously insecure and possibly jealous. Take it as a compliment that they care so much to talk about you.

If it were me, I'd tell them that I WAS pregnant, but they're comments made me so upset I lost the baby. Rofl
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    document everything you can and find a lawyer to sue under "harassment due to hostile work environment".
  • RoadToHappiness92
    Options

Rude.
    Dude, my coworkers have been there 10x longer than me and are mostly teenage girls. What's going to stop them?
  • RoadToHappiness92
    Options
    Is this junior high, or a big girl job?

Who cares what these people think or say? If they're attacking you, they're obviously insecure and possibly jealous. Take it as a compliment that they care so much to talk about you.

If it were me, I'd tell them that I WAS pregnant, but they're comments made me so upset I lost the baby. Rofl

I work in a Gym
  • JessikaBlayne
    JessikaBlayne Posts: 1,457
    Options
    document everything you can and find a lawyer to sue under "harassment due to hostile work environment".
    this
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options

Rude.
    Dude, my coworkers have been there 10x longer than me and are mostly teenage girls. What's going to stop them?

So because they are teenage girls, they won't listen to you, understand or have a reasonable response? Yeah... clearly they are the problem.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Get all up in their business and call'em out. Bi***es that say things behind your back won't have the guts to to stomach your confrontation.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Bullying, verb: Use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants.

This isn't bullying, it's just rude.

Act like an adult and confront people instead of acting like a child yourself.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    They're teen girls, so it shouldn't be any surprise to you that they act like that. If it really bothers you, put cat turds in their purse when they aren't looking.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Make fun of them too.

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

It's just a big game BABY!
  • MintyStarshine
    Options
    Bullying, verb: Use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants.

This isn't bullying, it's just rude.

Act like an adult and confront people instead of acting like a child yourself.

How is asking about advice in a sticky situation acting like a child?
  • skinnybunny_x
    Options
    They're teenagers?!

Wow.

Children can be cruel. They're immature, stupid, and have low self esteem.

Demonstrate mature behavior, and be nice to them. They'll thank you for it in ten years.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Does the boss know about what's happening, and would he/she be prepared to stop it from happening?
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Bullying this is not
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Before going higher... go directly to your co-workers like an adult and talk to them, if they get worse or don't stop take it to your boss. If that doesn't stop take it higher.

Teenagers or young adults or adults in genreal will more than likely cease when you bring it up. It has been my experiance that actually speaking up gets you further than sitting back and crying about it..

So pull up the big girl panties, confront the situation head on and then go from there.
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    File it in the who cares bin. Should it happen, no but it did. Unless they have a direct impact on your job then my feeling is in time things will play out to your advantage. Great thing about dumb people is they do dumb things. If you wait you you will be able to extract a pound of flesh later lol.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    This is why whenever i start a new job, i instantly kill the largest co-worker. this earns me respect and lets all others know i'm not one to be messed with.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

Rude.

You sound about the same age frankly.

If you truly are older and didn't lie on your profile, then you should act like it and just tell them to stop being so immature. At some point you have to act like a grownup and stop worrying about high school games.
  • SneakyWaff1es
    SneakyWaff1es Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Rude.

You should stop them. If you can't be grown and talk to them about it you think they'll take you serious if you run off and tell the boss?