Net vs gross calories help!

Options
Please forgive me if this question sounds stupid but will some please explain net and gross calories to me? Just how many calories should I eat? When I exercise my net goes down and the remaining goes up. So do I always try to get the reaming calories to be 0 by the end of the day or does that prevent weight loss? I have been having trouble losing weight maybe this is why. Thanks for your help. Newbie here!

Replies

• monicacur78
    monicacur78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I talked to my doc about this last week, Your net should be around what you original goal cal intake is, your gross it your original with your exercise added in. If you do eat back some of these cals it isn't that big of a deal as long as it is not in the negitive, but try your best to keep your net around what your original goal cals are and it is the best for losing wieght. I hope this helps.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I contacted MyFitnessPal about this. I can send you the response if you want. But what they said is that they calculate everything in so you eat all the calories, including added ones from exercise
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The above basically answered it. But I've found that if I eat back ALL of my calories worked off I either don't lose or a gain a little bit. I typically try and eat back only half of my exercise calories.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Not a stupid question at all - and one we have all asked when we join.

MFP calculates your calories as if you are doing no exercise. When you do exercise you burn calories (and need fuel for your workouts). So MFP adds these back into your daily allowance.

In short, yes you can eat your exercise calories back. It ensures your body is getting the fuel it needs and will help prevent you feeling tired or unwell.

Welcome on board :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Let's say my calorie goal is 1,900 net and that's what I eat...then I exercise and burn 300 calories. My net calories are now
    1,900 - 300 = 1,600. My goal is 1,900 net, so I should be eating those 300 exercise calories back...remember, it's a goal...a goal is something to be achieved. Doing so, I will net my goal of 1,900 and gross 2,200 calories.

Note that this is what you would do using the MFP method. Do not confuse different diet methods with the MFP method. MFP uses your NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) which implies that exercise is extra and must be accounted for as such. This is likely because a lot of people who start a diet and fitness plan do not yet have a regular exercise regimen that they follow which can make other methods, such as the TDEE method very difficult.

Just eat back exercise calories and net to MFP's goal and you'll be fine.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The above basically answered it. But I've found that if I eat back ALL of my calories worked off I either don't lose or a gain a little bit. I typically try and eat back only half of my exercise calories.

Everyone is different but I eat all my exercise calories back and I am losing weight steadily. OP: Why not try eating back all your calories for a couple of weeks and see how you get on?
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I eat back most of my exercise calories which I record off exercise equipment etc where I can, just be mindful that the estimated calories for most exercises on MFP is very high.. get some readings where possible.