losing weight

Options
bbydl64
bbydl64 Posts: 30 Member
Can someone please tell my why when I have had the flu, sick or something that allows me to eat very little, I can lose 10 pounds in a week, but when I eat healthy, walk daily and exercise and I cannot lose a pound. Topics have said that maybe someone isn't losing weight because of too few calories but how can that be if hardly any are eaten during a "sick" period. Call this curiousity.

Replies

• I3ernadette
    I3ernadette Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Part of that is that you get dehydrated. Part of it is your body burns excess fuel to combat your disease (you're creating new cells to both replace those that are damaged and to attack the virus or infection). And mostly, starvation takes weeks to affect the way you hold on to fat. The problem is, your body starts using your reserves (muscle and nutrients, as well as fat) as soon as you drop below maintenance calories. That's why people are so focused on their macros - to replenish those nutrients and to keep muscle loss to a minimum. When you've had the flu or otherwise been sick, you don't bounce back right away, right? You're weak and tired for a few days even after you're healthy again - that's your body recouping the losses made during your illness.
    I can't speak to why you're not losing weight - your diary's locked - but if you chose to fast for five or six days you would lose weight, but the benefits would be marginal and the costs extensive.