No calories on strength training exercises???

Options
Why are none figured in when I enter strength exercises on this app? I personally burn more do to shortened rest times and higher repetitions than I do with cardio. Do I just need to suck it up and get a HRM and enter them on my own?

Replies

• mikepasztor
    Options
    There is a strength training exercise in the cardio exercise section, although calories burned will still be dependent on HR.
  • TarshCooper001
    TarshCooper001 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM- unless you are doing a super power session, you will surprised at how little calories are burnt (MFP is way out) BUT on the bright side the fat burn percentage is sooooo much more than cardio :)
  • kimedw972
    kimedw972 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Isn't fat burning and calorie defecit kind of the same? I was surprised there was no calorie lost as well.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 181 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I was puzzled by the lack of calorie calc for Strength early on, but simply use the Cardio / "Create an Exercise" button (Android app) and calculate calories using inputs (for "time" and "calories") based on estimates from outside sources - "time" may not be a great proxy for resistance load, reps, tempo and sets, but the saved calories for the workout are quickly diarized, probably no less accurate than anything else, and customizable for any combo of anything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Why are none figured in when I enter strength exercises on this app? I personally burn more do to shortened rest times and higher repetitions than I do with cardio. Do I just need to suck it up and get a HRM and enter them on my own?

log it under the cardio section. the weight training section is just to log your lifts and weight used if so desired. if you log it under cardio you will get calories. A HRM is utterly useless for weight lifting and estimating calories. A HRM serves as a reasonable proxy for effort for cardio, but the algorithms used assume a steady state aerobic event which weight lifting is not.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You should use the exercise database entry for Strength Training.

To correct one comment - that means HR will NOT be used.

If a HRM is used and it estimates calorie burn (to be clear it's not measuring calorie burn but calculating it) - it's inflated.
    The database entry is actually not way out, but based on studies (which MFP uses), and actually rather minor burn compared to cardio for calorie burn, well, medium pace walking is about the same.

The fat burn % for resistance training as absolutely lower than cardio, unless you are comparing all out sprinting. Lifting is anaerobic if done right, therefore carbs must be used since metabolism of fat that requires enough oxygen can't be done.

And you can and most of the day burn fat, and don't have to be in a calorie deficit.

Sorry for seemingly random thoughts, just hitting most of the comments in this topic missing accuracy except the last one.
  • mfield4
    mfield4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I usually log my strength training as "circuit training" under the cardio section. I log about half the time I spend to make sure i'ts not overestimating, but I don't rest long between sets so I'm always getting some cardio in.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    mfield4 wrote: »
    I usually log my strength training as "circuit training" under the cardio section. I log about half the time I spend to make sure i'ts not overestimating, but I don't rest long between sets so I'm always getting some cardio in.

Good point - that Circuit training entry is from studies where they did 15 or more reps, with rests of 1 min or less. Lift to lift, so no real sets per same lift. Unless they just came back through all the machines again for another round.

And even though it is closer to the cardio side of the spectrum - I've done some where the HR-based estimate was still major inflated because the HR never had time to recover much in that 1 min - so very elevated HR reading all the time.

Whereas the Weight lifting entry was studies using 2-5 sets, 5-15 reps, and rests 2-5 min long.

I think the METS is 8 to 3.5 for comparison.