Women's Regular Sizes - too many options

Options
Since I reached my adult height, I've been wearing plus size clothing. I had really limited choices, especially when I was younger. My main diet goal was to get myself into regular sizes. Now that I'm just there (14-16) I'm overwhelmed by the choices and just go back to the stores that I used to shop at that have regular and plus size sections. Stores like Marshall's are overwhelming. Lately, all I can seem to purchase are sale jeans Old Navy (why spend when still loosing) and workout wear.

Loved to hear from others who struggle with transition, with how to figure out what works with new shape, etc.

TIA!

Replies

• melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree!

It was easy to shop at the fat girl stores, because frankly there's only two or three of them and all the clothes look the same. (Sidenote: Dear Fat Girl Stores, please stop putting big flowers and fru fru trim on blouses because sometimes we want a plain one.)

A year ago when I hit regular sizes for the first time in my adult life, I went all a bit mad. I bought lots of things (is it on sale? then it's mine!) and some of my choices were terrible. I had no idea what fitted and what didn't, all my old clothes were by Omar the Tentmaker. And to top it all off - did you notice yet that a plus size 14 is not the same as a regular size 14? That's weird. But I had no idea what worked with my body shape (which was and is still changing) or anything. And a size 14 at one store was totally different than one at another store.

I slowly realised I'd been dreaming of shopping in regular stores all my life, and I was afraid the fat fairy was going to come and take it all away from me again and banish me back to 1626 (now called The Avenue) and Big City Chic. So I made a rule that I didn't have to buy something just because it fit me - which is what I had been doing, regardless of how it looked. Also, I started phoning friends. ("Seriously, does this look awful? Just tell me if it looks awful.")

Now I'm actively losing again after a holding period during injury, and I'm doing the thrift store thing. Actually, thrift stores are awesome as you lose, since you're just going to shrink out of it, plus if you make a terrible decision, you only paid 4 bucks for it.

So yes, been there, done that. :)
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump so people see
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Im still naturally trying to grab the XL shirts. I'm now a Medium or Large and it's just not fully clicked yet that I have changed a ton with the 74lb loss. With the jeans, I still expect to wear a 16. I am not a 16 anymore. I was so happy to finally be a 12! I think mentally, it will take a while to adjust. I absolutely LOVE shopping now! Things actually fit! Take little steps and buy a little at a time! No need for a whole new wardrobe if you are wanting to lose a bunch more. Just buy a few things to get you through the season! KWIM?
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You could get help from a personal shopper (at a department store, obi). Skim some magazines to get a sense of what's going on these days (I have rarely seen fashion taken up with any enthusiasm by plus-size clothing manufacturers), just do some window shopping too, to get ideas.

Use a measuring tape & the numerous 'body shape' resources online to identify your shape, if it's changed.

Another approach: you could also take a few full-body shots in minimal clothing. Print them out and just draw lines around the shapes you see (not the ones you think you see). Take another colour and draw around this silhouette to play with proportions a bit, to see what works (aiming for symmetry or an hourglass shape, probably), so that you train yourself to find those shapes in clothes.

Try a bunch of things on too, too, and take pictures, and opinions if you trust them.

Very important question: are you at your goal, or do you intend to lose more weight? Don't invest in an extensive wardrobe if you're going to drop lbs. I mean buy enough things to feel comfortable, but not the whole shebang.

Once you're at your goal weight, I suggest really planning a wardrobe. Get all the basics, choose colours that work together so you can pull anything out and it'll work with anything. THEN get colourful fun things (that work with your basics).

Specific suggestions depend on your lifestyle and work environment, but there are lists online ('wardrobe basics' should offer useful search results).
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    melindanew, thanks for you post

! It's hard to go from one or two shops to many more. I'm also in my late thirties so now I can fit into stores I feel a little too old for--probably because, as you point out, plus size clothing ran conservative and old.

I think part of is the fat girl naivete. Shopping for clothes sucks for plus sizes, you assume it will be better when you are a regular size. However, your body may have changed shape (was somewhat of an apple and am now a thick stick (rectangle) with boobs, there's more choice hence more variation sizes and fits, pants cut too low for any size above a 6 or an 8 (:-) ), etc.