Under your calorie goal....

Options
doesn't always deserve praise! i keep seeing people who complete their entries and are under their calorie goal, and just because others see they are under their goal, they say "congrats", "good work", "way to go", etc etc... But, if their diary is viewable, and you go to it, you might notice that what they entered that day was mcdonalds for breakfast and icecream for dinner... which doesnt really warrant a "congrats". or someone who puts that they had a cereal bar, some fruit for lunch, and a salad for dinner, yet they burned 500 calories working out - isn't enough for them to be eating! and we shouldnt be congratulating them on undereating, we should be helping them learn to eat correctly. now, i understand that some people don't log everything they eat, but then whyy would they be completing their entry? i've written about this before and gotten criticized for it, so i'm sure i'll get some now, but it still doesn't make sense to me. if someone burns 400 calories on a workout, or someone who was struggling with exercise when for a walk that day, we should commend those achievements, but reinforcing bad eating habits doesn't make any sense to me. all i'm saying is, before telling someone what a good job they are doing, check out their diary. if it is indeed a decent day of food, tell them how well they are doing. if not, offer them some words of advice, or simply don't say anything at all. that's just my opinion.

Replies

• mamabobo
    mamabobo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%. We don't want to encourage eating disorders!
  • gurlondrums
    gurlondrums Posts: 187
    Options
    Agreed! :drinker:
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have never even commented on some one coming in under. Mine usually says that but its not by much, hard to get it on exactly and I would rather be slightly under but the last two days I have been ever so slightly over. But I agree with you.
  • Pariah
    Pariah Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i agree, and just because a person lost weight. doesn't mean thats what they wanted. i'm already underweight, i'm okay with not gaining weight, but i'm trying really hard not to lose any more. eating enough cals has been really hard for me this last week, and because of it, i'm losing more weight.
  • ZulyC
    ZulyC Posts: 19
    Options
    Spot on!
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!
  • h_eloise86
    h_eloise86 Posts: 124
    Options
    I have seen many terrible ways of losing weight.
    I have watched my mother struggle with anorexia and overexercising.
    I, myself, used to lose weight by under eating with the help of diet pills.
    The problem is: yes, we lose all the weight by doing our dirty deeds but once we start eating again (and once I kicked the diet pills) all the weight piles back on.
    It's a nasty cycle. People need to learn healthy changes to help their weight and, more importantly, their health.
    (I have a lot of opinions on under eating and the damage it does to people. Also, eating fast food and the terrible things that does to a body.)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I agree as well. In fact, I am going to turn mine off so it doesn't post any more.

Some people look at under as "good" and over as "bad".

I would rather be over by 10 calories than under by 500! But the over day will look like I failed if I post it, and the under day I will get congrats on, when the over day was actually the WAY healthier day!