Can anyone anwser this for me?

Options
CinthiaF
CinthiaF Posts: 324 Member
Is it good if you are under your your calorie intake??

Replies

• Pariah
    Pariah Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    it really depends on how big you daily deficit is already. if you already have a big daily deficit you really should get as close to your goal as possible. if your daily deficit is small, missing your goal every now and then won't do too much damage.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Not really. The calorie intake you have is already under what you use daily so you will lose weight, if you go under you risk going into starvation mode where your body hoards fat and you lose muscle mass. I never lose weight if I consistently come in under my calories.
  • i believe that all depends on how far below your daily intake you are, it sets a healthy goal for you for the day but i believe as long as you aren't under 1200 calores you should be okay. i may be wrong though.
  • CinthiaF
    Options
    Ok so if my deficit is 500 Calories and i am 211 under my amount. how much should i leave on there or should i eat or exercise them all. I really do not understand that stuff. It is confusing to me.
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Cynthia, go to this address and it will help greatly, but a short answer is, yes, you should eat all of your calories including exercise calories. I consitently lose an average of exactly 2 pounds per week (which is my setting) but eating ALL of my calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I just checked out your diary. Great job on the exercise calories! That is REALLY what you have left over today. I strongly recommend eating all of those. However, I do know people who've lost quite a bit of weight by not eating ANY of their exercise calories, or only eating a portion of them. Your net calories (calories eaten - calories burned through exercise) is still well above 1200. I wouldn't worry about it for one day. If you're hungry, eat something. If not, don't. Tomorrow try to plan for your exercise so you can eat a bit more throughout the day. ("Hello, Pot? This Kettle. You're black.":laugh: ) This isn't an exact science. Yes you NEED to eat the calories you're alotted (as long as it is working for you). But a misstep here and there, as long as they aren't long term, won't hurt you.

Keep up the good work!
  • CinthiaF
    Options
    I just checked out your diary. Great job on the exercise calories! That is REALLY what you have left over today. I strongly recommend eating all of those. However, I do know people who've lost quite a bit of weight by not eating ANY of their exercise calories, or only eating a portion of them. Your net calories (calories eaten - calories burned through exercise) is still well above 1200. I wouldn't worry about it for one day. If you're hungry, eat something. If not, don't. Tomorrow try to plan for your exercise so you can eat a bit more throughout the day. ("Hello, Pot? This Kettle. You're black.":laugh: ) This isn't an exact science. Yes you NEED to eat the calories you're alotted (as long as it is working for you). But a misstep here and there, as long as they aren't long term, won't hurt you.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you i now understand. But i have been under my calorie count sense i started i should have asked when i started but did not think of it at all. Thank you kgasser for the link but that got my confused i had have my roommate put it in to simpler form and it had to to sink in as well thank you everyone for the advice :bigsmile:
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You're welcome...soryy it was confusing, but am glad your roommate got it! Lisa...good job putting it in simple terms.

Best of luck, Cintia...MFP DOES work, if you let it be a lifestyle, with all of it's little stumbles, instead of a diet, with all of it's pitfalls.
  • CinthiaF
    Options
    Ok so i have 1200 calorie to eat a day and i need to burn 500 of it. Is that in each day or in a weeks workouts??
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    No, you are supposed to eat way more than 1200 calories with the amount of weight you need to lose. - say it's 1600 calories. You get that number by filling in the "Goals" section of Myfitnesspal. Tell it you are 210lbs (or whatever you weigh), and that you are moderately active (unless you sit all day). EAT THAT # OF CALS IT GIVES YOU.

Then - when you exercise - like today you have 300 cals EARNED. Eat those calories too. So you will eat 1600 + 300 = 1900 calories.

Myfitness pal is already giving you a 500 calorie a day deficit BELOW what you would need to eat to maintain your current weight. So if you wanted to maintain your current weight, you would need to eat (using the above numbers as an example) 1900 + 500 calories today = 2400. To lose weight you will be told to eat 1900 calories today.

Just eat what MFP tells you. Be honest in your answers in the "Goals" section and try to change your eating habits a little at a time.

For instance, you are eating a lot of sugar. You are eating a LOT of salt. You aren't getting much fiber or potassium.

Try to eat whole foods. (Meaning nothing processed, or stuff that comes in a box, or a bag).

Below are some helpful links (you already read the first one)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions?page=1

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8977-your-body-s-thoughts-on-calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6832-eating-all-of-your-calories-bmr?page=1#posts-47129

Good luck! It will be easy for you to lose weight in the beginning, and you have time to learn, so if you don't eat enough or eat too much by a few hundred calories ocassionally right now, it won't derail your weight loss. Just stick with it, you will continue to learn new things and tweak your numbers. Don't obsess over 100-200 calories. Just try to get close to the recommendation 80-90% of the time.
    Life happens.

Most important things IMO, Log all your food. Drink lots and lots of water. Get a little bit of exercise every day. You don't have to kill yourself. Just move more and eat less.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
  • CinthiaF
    Options
    Ok so my i just looked and calorie to eat are wrong when i first wrote them down. It is suppose to be 1670/day and i just got the last 210. So i also need to eat the 300 i burned as well??
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Ok so my i just looked and calorie to eat are wrong when i first wrote them down. It is suppose to be 1670/day and i just got the last 210. So i also need to eat the 300 i burned as well??

Yep.

Eat the whole 1970 that MFP is saying you should eat today.

You wan t the bottom line on the Food Diary to say "0 Calories Remaining". Eat them all! Isn't that fantastic!??
  • cmriverside
    Options
    You are trying to get as close to "0" on the bottom line in all categories on your Food Diary in order to have balanced nutrition.
  • CinthiaF
    Options
    Yes it is and i have eating them all already and it still has that 300. but you are says if it says that i have "0 Calories remaining". I am good. Right?? Sorry to so many questions. It just has to sink in some before i really understand it. It says that i have 0 left
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Today's numbers:

Basic Calories to consume = 1670
    Your exercise today =300
    Total to eat today = 1970

As you can see on your diary,(near the bottom, "You have earned 300 exercise calories." they are are added in) Myfitnesspal ADDED the 300 calories to your diary. It does all the math for you. Just punch in your food and exercise and then the bottom line of your diary will say how much you still need to eat.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    So I just looked at it, yes. PERFECT (how'd you do that? LOL)
  • CinthiaF
    Options
    Ok cool thank you so much for explaining that is much easier for me to understand. I have not more calorie i need to eat now. Thank you so much for all the help :bigsmile:
  • CinthiaF
    Options
    So I just looked at it, yes. PERFECT (how'd you do that? LOL)

LOL i know all the food i eat and about how much they are for the servings. I try to eat the same thing ever day but not always. i am going to have to try and find something else to eat sometime
  • cmriverside
    Options
    You're welcome. It is a learning process. I'm still learning stuff and I've been doing this for two and a half years. Good luck!:flowerforyou: