Nutrion Facts on MFP Database! Please read.......

bethinagain
bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Please, Please, Please double check your nutrion facts and exact discription before you enter a new food in our database. It's very frustrating when it's wrong. Also, if anyone finds an incorrect nutritional fact on an item, please edit it. It only takes a few seconds. If we all pull together and keep our database with correct information it will make all of our daily food logging much easier and quicker.

Example - I just went to enter "Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Original" and the database had 2 that were incorrect with the exact same discription. This milk is 60 colories for 8 oz. There was one entry that had that it at 40 calories (which would make it the unsweetend version I think) not the original and another entry that had it at 90 calories, I think maybe that would be the chocolate version. But they both had it discribed as the "Original" flavor.

Thanks everyone for reading!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    I have found a few discrepancies as well, how do you edit one that is already in the database I didn't know you could do that!
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    also I think we should put (Canada) (USA) ect beside it as the quantity and cals differ for the exact same products.

Also when you change it does it change the original one or just make a new one?
  • I agree with mama, any I edit or add to the database I add Canada after as it seems there is a difference in many things I look up
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    To change it: When you are looking at it in the database, and click on the "Nutrional Information" link, a new window pops up. It gives you the opportunity to see the details, as well as "confirm this information is correct." You can click yes, no or I don't know. If everything is correct, click yes. If something is wrong, click no and it will then give you the option to edit. You can edit anything that is incorrect, and even put in a summary of what you changed.

As far as whether that changes it in the database, I have no idea. I know that I can see the foods I've corrected, but I don't know if anyone else can see the change.
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    The edit button is next to the discription on the upper right hand corner above the Nutrtion Facts. It will edit the original one and not create a new one.

I think putting "CA" or "USA" next to the name is a great idea. Thanks for your suggestion!:flowerforyou:
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    When i edit something I make a note that it is corrected to package nutritional information, and also state Canada somewhere in the name. I hope this helps!

G'night all
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    I thing I've noticed is pkg. sizing changes so the nutrition info then also changes. I went to look up a bread brand I purchased and noticed the quantity and all the nutrients were different.

Nowadays sizing keeps changing which might have some to do with some items appearing not to be correct. But I do understand what you're saying. I can get frustrating, I hesitate when I begin to change some items because as a poster brought up, it could be from another Country that it was posted and their values can be very different than ours.

I've read recently that the sugar difference in cereals and many other products sent to the US vs. Canada and other Countries has much high sugar content even though the brand and item is the very same.

AUGH, what's wrong with us ppl? Why do we need to much sugar here in the US:sad: :blushing:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    One last thought, last time a thread similar to this was brought up a month or so back, Mike shared he's working on making it available for members to clean it up a bit. Such as editing out duplicates etc. I did notice that now we can change the names of the items when we do editing which helps to be able to add 'corrected' or 'edited' to the brand/product.
This discussion has been closed.