5-HTP for Anxiety and Mild Depression

Options
2»

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    This is a case, I believe, where a lot of mainstream and naturopathic practitioners are missing something very important.

I didn't mean my comments as a contra to yours. A lot of people need more magnesium. I don't disagree. However, as to the OP, if I was considering taking 5-HTP to treat mild anxiety or depression, I personally would first try adding whole foods to my diet to treat my symptoms. For instance, foods that are rich in magnesium are bran, wheat, gourd seeds, flax and some others. I _PERSONALLY_ would try adding those whole foods on a regular basis before taking a supplement to treat an undiagnosed deficiency that my doctor has not recommended to me. But that's me _PERSONALLY_, since that's how I've found success. If you find success in other ways, then please share your experiences with others! There's no one way to health :)
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    This is a case, I believe, where a lot of mainstream and naturopathic practitioners are missing something very important.

I didn't mean my comments as a contra to yours. A lot of people need more magnesium. I don't disagree. However, as to the OP, if I was considering taking 5-HTP to treat mild anxiety or depression, I personally would first try adding whole foods to my diet to treat my symptoms. For instance, foods that are rich in magnesium are bran, wheat, gourd seeds, flax and some others. I _PERSONALLY_ would try adding those whole foods on a regular basis before taking a supplement to treat an undiagnosed deficiency that my doctor has not recommended to me. But that's me _PERSONALLY_, since that's how I've found success. If you find success in other ways, then please share your experiences with others! There's no one way to health :)

Right, I didn't think it was a slight. Your comment just reminded me about the kind of magnesium-blindness I noticed on my own test panels; anyone who wants their doc to do some tests for problems like we're talking about here may need to specifically ask for magnesium tests to be added (there are two types of tests and both should be ordered for a clear picture). And again, if the standard recommendations are too low as some suspect, the mag results may still show in the normal range and not give the doctor cause to recommend supplementing if they aren't well acquainted with the calcium/magnesium balance and even nutrition in general--and you'd be surprised how many doctors assume that if you're taking a multivitamin and don't live on fast food, all is well on the vitamin front.

For my own bod; I actually do get a lot of magnesium in my diet because I'm naturally attracted to foods that have high magnesium and eat one or more of spinach, seeds/nuts, beans & legumes, rye and wheat breads, etc. every single day. Nevertheless, I find I still need to supplement to keep the symptoms I was having from recurring. Luckily for me, my digestion seems to be the reliable indicator of whether I'm getting enough, which is good because unlike calcium there is no easy way to track how much magnesium you're getting since it's not required to be on food labeling in the US. Some people, particularly those under a lot of stress, may need more than the diet can conveniently provide.
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to take them for my migraines. I went from about 2 a month to about 2 a year! I love them. No side effects for me.

Is this the 5-HTP you are taking for migraines? or something else?

I take 100 mg a day, and it has helped me so much. I also think I sleep much better and it does have a calming effect.
  • Prephred
    Prephred Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to take them for my migraines. I went from about 2 a month to about 2 a year! I love them. No side effects for me.

Is this the 5-HTP you are taking for migraines? or something else?

I take 100 mg a day, and it has helped me so much. I also think I sleep much better and it does have a calming effect.

Thanks a bunch for answering. I have constant migraines.
  • AlanaMeyer1
    Options
    There are some natural options that can help you to rid out depression. You can just visit this below link and reduce your depression level with the help of these mentioned points in it.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I absoluetly love 5-htp, it helps me sleep better and makes me feel less jittery and more energetic. Give it a try for about 3 weeks and see if it helps :)
  • rokokoli
    rokokoli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have recently started taken these for anxiety and love it! I take 50mg a day before work, as work is the main stress and anxiety factor in my life. :)
  • kbeloved
    kbeloved Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I take rhodiola rosea and swear by it. Your body does tend to build up an immunity to it after a month or so...so I alternate days taking it and it really helps with my depression which is pretty severe.
  • riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    a really long time ago when i was going through some serious mental health issues w anxiety and some depression a friend brought me a bottle of 5HTP and it helped a lot. give it a shot.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    A couple people have suggested checking Vitamin D levels....I failed to mention that I am taking a prescription strength (50,000 iu per week for 3 months, then decreasing to OTC) Vitamin D supplement. The same hormonal blood test that helped me determine that I am estrogen dominant told me I was D deficient. Granted I live in Wisconsin and haven't seen sunshine since September sooooooo not surprised :)

@TheDevastator Do you know if soy-based skin products are problematic as well? I'm googling this now but just curious if you knew. I used Aveeno face wash and face lotions, and their big thing is that they use a Soy complex and are "natural"...whatever that means anymore.

anything you put on your skin absorbs in the body...(think nicotine patch, estrogen patch, etc) I avoid soy at all costs, and it has helped me immensely. I've tried 5-HTP. I think if you cycle it you'll be fine - something like 9-12 weeks then take a break. I get S.A.D. so I usually take it when winter hits. Then I go off it by spring.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump to look at later
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, someone with mild anxiety and depression does not NEED to be medicated. The only time I believe a person NEEDS to be medicated is when their mental illness interferes with their day-to-day life. I say this because all medications used to treat anxiety and depression have pretty serious side effects. Of course not everyone experiences side effects but many do. Especially weight gain. Me personally… I gained 111 lbs within 3 years because of anxiety medications (specifically SSRIs, SNRIs, and benzodiazepines). I developed insulin resistance because of the rapid weight gain from the medications. The weight gain has led to chronic migraines and heart issues (supra-ventricular tachycardia).

There is not enough evidence to ensure that 5-HTP is safe. In fact, there's not enough to even say it is an effective treatment for depression.

I would suggest looking at alternative, NATURAL treatments to treat your anxiety and depression.

Other treatments include:

1) CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) <--- this has been very effective for me.
    2) Biofeedback
    3) Yoga/pilates
    4) Acupuncture
    5) Essential oils
    6) Vitamins (Vitamin D and super B complex)
    7) Diaphragmatic breathing
    8) Exercise in general. It releases endorphins which raise serotonin.