also new here

Options
I stopped eating for the first 2 days but now I am increasing my intake everyday up to 1200 calories per day. However, the problem is that I dont know what to eat. Tomorrow I will go to the grocery store which is very scary with all the junk food there. I think if I know what I am going to get it will be easier. I think it might be easier to not eat then no choices have to be made. What are some "staples" of weight loss foods?

Replies

• youareorange
    youareorange Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't know if these are "staples", but I like these food items:

Protein sources: ground turkey, chicken breast, lean ground beef, lean ground pork, tuna, egg whites, I really like Greek Yogurt - it's a good source of protein. I also like beans - kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans
    Carbs: oats, I really like Kashi cereal especially the Cinnamon Harvest, lots of veggies. I really like spinach and edamame (good sources of protein as well! Bananas, apples, oranges
    Fats: I can usually get enough fat from my protein, but I add in nuts from time to time.

As long as you hit a caloric deficit with your foods, you should lose weight.
  • sriley721
    sriley721 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    thanks! I didn't think about beans and nuts. That will help the shopping list. After so many years of junk and fast foods its a big task to find alternative things to eat.
  • wdshell
    wdshell Posts: 16
    Options
    Little shopping list for you! Keep a range of these foods at hand and you'll always be able to knock up a healthy clean meal.

Protein sources:Beans of all kinds
    Beef tenderloin
    Lean minced beef
    Canned salmon/tuna packed in water
    Chicken/turkey breast
    Chickpeas
    Eggs
    Fat free plain yoghurt
    Fresh fish
    Low fat cottage cheese
    Pork tenderloin
    Unsalted raw nuts and seeds

Carbohydrate sources:Brown rice
    Buckwheat
    Bulgar
    Millet
    Oatmeal (Porridge – proper oats not the instant kind)
    Quinoa*
    Wheatgerm
    Whole-grain pasta
    Bananas
    Carrots
    Chickpeas*
    Beans(kidney,navy,pinto,soy)*
    Sweet potatoes
    Radishes
    Split peas*
    Lentils*
    *These are high protein complex carbs and may be used as a protein source

Healthy Fats:Almonds
    Avocados
    Cashews
    Cold-water fish
    Flaxseed
    Hazelnut oil
    Nut butters
    Olive oil
    Pecans
    Pine nuts
    Pumpkin seeds
    Safflower oil
    Walnuts

and obviously lots of fruit and vegetables :) Hope that helps!
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    starvation is key.
  • sriley721
    Options
    thank you! I am not sure what most of the items on the list are but I will find them! It will be a great starting point for me, thank you again.
  • sriley721
    Options
    I do think starvation is the key-for now but I also know its not a long term solution. At some point I will have to have a eating plan. That is a scary part, can I start eating all my calories without going over.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I do think starvation is the key-for now but I also know its not a long term solution. At some point I will have to have a eating plan. That is a scary part, can I start eating all my calories without going over.

I was being sarcastic. If you do not fuel your body it will store it's fuel source. (fat) Eat, or you will stay fat. Weighing less does not mean that i person is healthier, it only means thay weigh less. Drop body fat and don't worry about weight as much. Take measurments.