Healthy BMI, Doc Says I Still Need to "Drop a Few"

Options
13»

Replies

• seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am glad you took my feedback well! We are all human and doing our best. Sometimes I need someone to tell me when I am being defensive or taking something the wrong way.

I think another big takeaway that others have mentioned is talking to your doctor. Next time you are in, bring it up - hey, last time I was here this rubbed me the wrong way, can you explain more why you recommended that particular weight, etc.

I read a study recently about how people don't really ask questions, they leave an appointment feeling confused or frustrated but for some reason the white gown makes people clam up and not say what is on their mind or ask questions. Communication is key!
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be blunt but the victim mentality in this thread is what is wrong with society. I don't know if you guys simply have terrible doctors or something, but assuming that the doctor is wrong is asinine.

If you're on a fitness and health website in the first place, presumably trying to lose weight, why are you surprised that a medical professional is saying they would "like" to see you lose a few pounds? If you have a problem with your doctor's recommendations, then tell them. Part of a GP's social responsibility is to educate the public about medicine by making sure their patients understand what they're telling them and why.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Ok, are you actually healthy though? I mean are your blood tests also in the middle of the range, or veering close to or over the ends? Any chance of problems with lady parts? Do diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease run in your family? Are any immediate family members your doc's also treated suffering from obesity-related diseases?

I'm not expecting answers, my point is your doc has actually evaluated you, while the BMI chart compares individuals to a population and doesn't give individualzed info, like your doc can.

Again, when the doc came into the room, this was literally this very FIRST thing we talked about (and taking blood pressure and pulse, which is great). After she mentioned my height/weight that my nurse recorded, she then took my family history sheet. I wouldn't consider myself a health nut, but I am certainly health conscious and I would say that the majority of the time I lead a healthy lifestyle. I will admit that during high stressed times during school (I'm a grad student) I can easily put on a few pounds if I'm not careful-- but since I'm aware of this, I try to do what I can to avoid it. Sometimes I'm not as successful, but I always manage to get back on track. I've never had any health issues.

Sorry, I"m having a slow night. So, in order, it was:

Hello -> BMI measurement & recommendation/BP/pulse -> family history? And no (even casual) discussion in between about metabolic disoders (like e.g. PCOS)?

In that case, I can see why you might be a bit miffed, esp if she was brusque. You should actually give her feedback on this. She can't improve if no one tells her. Most people just switch docs. (Or switch, and give feedback later, either way she should know).

Sorry, I worded that very poorly- I meant to say at the point she came in she already HAD my BP/Pulse (the nurse did height, weight, BP/Pulse, I was told my BP/Pulse were great). So when the doctor came in, she had that basic information, then commented on my BMI. After, she asked me for the family history sheet that I had filled out so she could enter the info in the computer. The way this doctor's office did it was they sent the paperwork to my residence, I filled it out, and was told to hang on to it until the doctor asked for it. She didn't comment on any of my family history though? Which is odd, because diabetes does run in some of my family.

Well, then that is not great communication on the doc's part. And yeah bf goes down as a function of weight loss, but the worry for average-weighted people with no history would be visceral fat, which she can't eyeball. She definitely should have explained things. Fit is one thing, but that is pretty poor psychology.
    Honestly, I think I've reacted so strongly just because I've never had a doctor comment on my weight, even when I've asked their opinion with doctors I've had in the past. However, I don't think I'll go back, just because I like to feel comfortable with my provider. Also, we just moved, so switching doctors might be best anyway since her office is 1 1/2 hours away (appointment was made a while before we even knew we were moving). I did fill out a feedback from at the office, I basically just said it wasn't a good fit- I'm not a fan of minimizing a professional's expertise/experience even if we didn't click on a relational level, I make a point to separate liking/disliking from good doc/bad doc :)

That is fair enough. Hope you find someone competent & likeable :)
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I often don't trust doctor's opinions. It's most likely due to my family having encountered a ridiculous number of misdiagnosed injuries and illnesses throughout the years. My favourite doctor was actually a nurse who had known my family for about four years and took what we said at face value. She knew we were weird, and had some rare diseases in our genes, she knew we were athletic and probably reckless when we were out doing things. When my brother was rushed in her room because he ran a tree branch into his eye, it was no big deal. She respected our opinions when we said we didn't want to try certain treatments (like opiates for severe cramping issues). And she worked with us. I've also had medical practitioners tell me that I am very unhealthy (because my blood pressure is too low - most likely due to running), that my diet is wrong, that my mum was dying of cancer (nope! she just has spherical blood), that she had tennis elbow (nope, her elbow was broken and because of his misdiagnosis, she has a piece of bone just floating in her elbow now), and a plethora of other things.

What do they call a doctor who graduated with the lowest GPA in his class? A doctor. It's the same with engineers, as an engineer I know that we are all human and it takes more than one person to accurately see things for what they are.

I think that this doctor was a bit brusque with you, and you likely don't need to lose as much weight as she thinks. Go with what feels right for your body and keep an eye on BF%.
  • Idolina_Marie
    Options
    If you're on a fitness and health website in the first place, presumably trying to lose weight, why are you surprised that a medical professional is saying they would "like" to see you lose a few pounds?

Key words: fitness and health. I know a lot of people who use MFP just to maintain their weight and keep track of a healthy lifestyle. Not everyone is here to lose weight, but yes it's useful for that as well :)