Replies

• djack18
    djack18 Posts: 14
    Options
    bump
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    first things first. calculating BMI with just weight and height is extremely inacuate, especially if you lift.

I started lifting in January and the first month I had almost no weight loss, BUT I was losing inches so I was happy as a clam. I've lost about 14lbs since January, and still losing inches. I honestly no longer give a flip what the scale says, I care what the measuring tape says.

In the end the scale will tell you just a number that society has conditioned us to freak out about. instead of a number goal have an image goal (well a healthy one, we do have some crazy people here) and shoot for it.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I do find that I lose slower now since I'm actually trying to preserve my muscle...I find it takes longer to lose body fat rather than a mix of muscle/body fat/other LBM. I didn't lose anything at all about the first 4 weeks I started lifting...to much water being retained trying to repair muscle.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is still necessary to lose weight, weight lifting isn't magic. What weight lifting does do is help retain LBM while in a deficit.

Depending on your current BF %, you may start to notice composition changes as early as 4 weeks and it could take up to 8-12 weeks.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is 90% about the deficit, unfortunately.

I lost the first 40 pounds by doing mostly cardio 4 to 5 days a week. I had little shape or definition, so I looked like a smaller version of myself. Dieting was definitely what caused most of the weight loss. I was losing about 1.5 pounds / week consistently for several months.

I started to lift weights a couple months ago, around 110 pounds and 20% body fat. I am now hanging around 105 pounds and 16% body fat (according to the scale, but I look more like 20% in real life). I don't mind that the scale isn't budging, as I am eating way more and seeing more definition than I ever did before the weights.

I agree. I am eating TDEE-20%. So there is a deficit in there.

At TDEE-20% the scale should not be moving slow. Really crack down on your tracking accuracy, buy a food scale. Since you started back in January, the weight stall from water retention should be minimal or not noticeable anymore.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Do not concentrate on a scale number, it doesn't matter and will not matter in the end.

THIS! I used to do cardio only and got down to 135lbs (I'm 5'9"). I am now 10lbs heavier since lifting weights but I wear the same clothing size. The last time I had a Dexa scan, I came out at 15.65% body fat. Throw out your scale! :wink:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's got to be the diet. I looked at your diary quick and see a lot of empty days. It's possible that you are eating more than you think. I'd recommend logging as accurately as possible, every single day for a good 4 weeks. Then if you are not seeing any movement on the scale, you'll need to drop your calorie goal a bit more.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Take measurements and watch your clothes get bigger and don't worry about the scale going down as much.

I plateaued the middle of last year at 170, but went from 18 to 16 to 14 in jeans all at the same weight once I got serious about lifting. Since then I've only lost 10 pounds but now I am a size 10 in jeans at 160 pounds and they are getting looser. I'm only 5 foot tall as well. Originally, I wanted to be 135 pounds. I think it will take alot more hard work for me to weigh that little and still have the muscle I have. It can be done but OH LORDY! I think if I end up a size 6 at this point I will be happy! LOL!

Good luck and friend request sent. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have been doing heavy lifting since about January, started free weights about six months ago, but I have been weight lifting for years using mostly the machines. I also run 4-6 miles three times a week. My weight loss did not stall with weight lifting, and in fact I think I am finally able to maintain my weight.

Since starting free weights, and doing heavy lifting, I have seen amazing changes in my body. I fluctuate between 141.8 and 143.5 and I was shocked on the weekend to discover I wear a 2, 4, 6, and that 6 is a bit baggy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Loss on the scale come from a deficet...what you are doing now is losing fat...not fat & muscle.

I see losses almost every week now but I have gone 3-4 weeks without a loss on the scale but my weight lifting lbs went up...which is a win.

But that being said don't let the scale weight get to you...measure, take progress pics...BF%...(I know web sites aren't that accurate but you can still see a downward trend)...

I am personally at 160lbs today..and can wear a size 6, I am about 24-26% BF and based on calculations need to be between 149-153lbs to get to 20-22% BF...I look at other women on here who lift tho...Sara, Crank, theliftingchick, fitree (some names are shortened) and think to myself...they are hot and I am pretty sure they don't give a sweet *kitten* all about the scale weight.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Year old thread revived....
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Year old thread revived....

Oh snap.

No wonder food log is empty. Glad I saw this before I put in my response.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    My scale hasn't budged. Like not at all. But I did go down a size since I started lifting. I try to ignore the scale but it's hard sometimes. I really do wanna get at least down into a 'normal' weight range (my BMI is actually still closer to obese than it is to normal). And I know people say BMI is crap, and for athletes and people with a lot of muscle, that's probably true, but I think it's a pretty decent guideline for the average person.

Here's the difference 6 months made. I'm sure it would have been more significant if I could get my eating habits sorted.

progress1.jpg

Very Nice. You look great!!! Can very easily tell the difference.
  • laureneliset
    laureneliset Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yep, the scale is a right pain in the backside. When I first started training and was constantly sore, I was absolutely gutted to see the scale had only moved 1kg in my first month. However throwing in the bodyfat calculations I'd actually lost 3kg in fat and gained 2kg in muscle and my friends had started to notice a difference in my figure. I also added 50 calories to my BMR - small win but I'll take it!

I read somewhere that newbies to weight training who are also on a calorie deficit will gain some muscle, however at some point this stops and all you do is maintain your current muscle mass. I would presume at this point we would start to see the scale move downwards more quickly as the fat weight we lose isn't offset by muscle weight gained. I don't know how true this is and, if so, when it would start. It hasn't happened to me yet but fingers crossed!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Please don't focus on the scale as a measure of success when lifting weights. I post this pic all the time because it perfectly illustrates why.

These are all the same woman. On the left, at her goal weight. On the right, after a heavy lifting program. The scale is no indication of looking good.

bodycomp_zps5030830e.jpg