Tongue Ring - Help Me Please!

Options
KarmaxKitty
KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
I've been mulling over it for years now and I seriously want one. It's that same sort of feeling when I got my septum done. My issue is that I'm studying in education and I need to be able to make this thing virtually invisible for obvious reasons. I haven't been able to find a simple solution like there is for a septum piercing. Can anyone help with ideas/tips? Or would I just be better off not getting one?

Replies

• Alyssah09
    Alyssah09 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    There are many rings or studs that are clear or so small that you can not see them. I was in cheer and had many piercings and had to remove them or place a ring in that was clear. My best friend had her tongue pierced and got a SMALL jewel for it and you couldent even tell!
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    I hear this idea a lot, but do you think it would work in a professional setting? I have no idea how visible they would be close up.
  • Alyssah09
    Options
    They really are not that visible, we were a national cheer team and not even our coaches that saw us every day saw them. Let me see if I can find you the link
  • Alyssah09
    Options
    http://www.bewild.com/hidyourpier.html

here is one site, they are called piercing retainers
  • violetsue
    violetsue Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. I see a lot of broken teeth because of them and it's always close to the front where you can see it.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    Ah! Those do look promising. You didn't have issues with the O rings falling off?
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    Don't do it. I see a lot of broken teeth because of them and it's always close to the front where you can see it.

I'm looking into getting mine pierced further back than the normal "show" piercings.
  • Alyssah09
    Options
    I never had a tongue piercing, my best friend did, and we were jumping, tossing people in the air, dancing, the whole nine and she never lost hers and nothing ever fell out
  • ChelleBalady
    Options

Agreed! I had one too and chipped my tooth when I was 18. I have been dealing with issues of it since and now needed to have the tooth removed and an expensive implant placed. :angry:
  • violetsue
    violetsue Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Even the acrylic ones cause damage. Be careful.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    They do make flesh plugs for the tongue. Plus feelings on piercing are changing even in professional settings. I got my tongue done twice, the regular one through the tongue and one under in the little flap of skin under your tongue.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    Goodness, there's an entirely wider spectrum of opinions than I was expecting. I guess I'll ask the piercer what he thinks (that guy's been brutally honest about every little thing I ask him about), and find some teachers and see what they think. I was also thinking about the changing attitude in the workforce. I still have another two or three years to graduate, and some of that time would be spent in schools, which is why I was asking.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I had one. My tongue was pierced far back and after the swelling went down and I could switch rings, I went with a super short one so it never was noticeable. Be careful with the plastic balls on some, they can come off a little easier than the metal ones. Had mine 10yrs and never chipped a tooth.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Don't have one (and don't want one), but I've heard a lot of dental horror stories related to tongue rings.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    They can mess up your teeth.... also if they dont' get between taste buds you will be in agony.
  • samdondero
    samdondero Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i have 2 tongue rings and i have no problems. im actually thinking about getting a 3rd one too.
  • Felecia1923
    Felecia1923 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Ah! Those do look promising. You didn't have issues with the O rings falling off?

they have really cute plastic ones for your tongue now that don't break your teeth.
    as for not being able to see it they have the clear ones and once it is healed you can take it out whenever you want.
  • susheetush
    susheetush Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Have had mine for nearly 15 years. It's deeper in than most people have it and I haven't had any issues with it chipping my teeth or causing issues. I also work in a corporate job with a variety of clients and generally speaking, if I'm meeting someone new, I err on the side of caution and put in a clear piercing. But once the client knows me well enough I swap it to a gold one. No one has yet had a problem with it.

I agree I don't like the plastic ones for long term use, they come off easily and I've swallowed a few in my time. Hate that!
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I got my tongue pierced when I was 14.. (yeah I know.... too young for that piercing)

I just recently took it out last month.. and I am 21. No one ever knew I had one! I used regular rings.. nothing special to hide it.. I had a few jobs and kept it in..

and the topic is making me miss it :tongue: I took it out because I needed to stop biting it..
  • susheetush
    susheetush Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Tongue piercings typically stay open for a fairly long time. Try putting it back in!