Do you feel like MFP is the plan for you that works?

Options
Just wondering if anyone feels like they really can't do weight loss without using MFP? Have you tried losing weight without it and find yourself having to get back on MFP? I just wanted to know how many people feel that they definitely need MFP to be successful with weight loss?

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I use mfp to calorie count and track my nutrition. Eating back all my calories like it suggests doesn't work for me, as well as a number of people here. But some people have good luck with it.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I have a knack for letting myself 'get away' with pretending. "Oh, one more day of skipping a workout won't make a difference." "It won't matter if I have one more slab of lasagna." "Eating cheeseburgers 3 days in a row won't really effect my weight." "I can burn enough calories to lose weight just by walking to the mailbox and back."

MFP doesn't let me do that. It's all right there, in black and white (and RED!!!). It's real. It's tangible. It makes complete sense to me. And it makes it easy.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    OK I don't know if I NEED it. I probably won't need it after a year of practicing with it. But right now, and to get started, yeah...it's making a difference.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    After I lost my weight I still used MFP!! The support has been amazing and I've made too many friends here to leave. lol
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    i think MFP is a good tool to help people get started. i used MFP for a while to gauge how much i was eating and used it for 2wks; then when i was happy (i knew i was on track but just wanted to make sure), i stopped. i never log anything on this site but i do come on the forums to help people.

i did my own research and follow my own programs have have hit all of my fitness goals without MFP.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I lost weight from my first 2 pregnancies on my own. This time I found mfp and I've really got into the fitness side of things, so glad I found this site, I have learnt so much on here.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Once I decided to lose the excess weight, I committed. I think anything works if you commit. I found it REALLY helps me to log in my food (still - this is an eternity in discipline for me lol) because I discovered that I was eating a LOT more than I thought I was! Pretty healthy but WAY too much. Before MFP I was eating around 3000 CPD. I've cut it in half and I feel SO much better already! Even though I was working out (I always have) I was still eating too much. On here I have my target calories + my exercise calories. I will use MFP until I hit my GW. I also love the support of my MFP "friends".

So, my answer? Yep!
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is the plan that works for me. I can see everything that I eat. I believe MFP. It is my lying eyes and memory :noway: that I don't trust.
  • mustangdeb
    Options
    I feel I need MFP, it makes it easier to track what I eat, I won't write it down but I can keep track using my phone when not home. I have also set up an account for my husband. I love it.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yes it works! It is a checks and balance tool. If you use it you will lose weight. If you want to make excuses go ahead and just looks in the mirror and see if you are happy on where you are at. If it was easy anyone could do it. It takes work and dedication. Good Luck.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I track every bite I succeed. The second I stop and think I can do it on my own, I stop losing. The message board and my list of friends have been critical to keeping me going and bringing new ideas.

The one thing or area that I feel mfp fails at is estimating the amount of calories you "earn" with workouts. Eating those calories back does not work for me. The estimate of number of calories burned is almost double what my heart rate monitor tells me.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yes...I've lost weight with and without MFP....took me 3 1/2 years to lose 50 pounds on my own...with the last year of that being pretty much gaining and losing the same 10 pounds...joined MFP and have lost over 40 since joining 6 months ago....keeps me way way more on track....
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    It helps to keep me accountable. Obviously I was not doing that well on my own. I still have a long way to go, so I have no plans of not tracking anytime soon. Will I use it forever, everyday? I doubt it. But, I definitely think what I have learned from tracking and about fitness from the forums will stay with me forever. For me it has changed my life.
  • weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I ran a test on Saturday to see how I would cope, I know one day isnt a massive test but I thought it would be interesting to see how I did.
    Turns out without putting my food into MFP I am completely unaware of how bad certain things are for me, I mean I knew some of the calories etc but am completely unaware of the fat and sat fat contents, which is why I like to use MFP, so I can keep an eye on all of the stats and monitor my intake properly.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's just a tool... like Quicken for calories. Instead of balancing my bank accounts, I'm balancing my calories and macros against my activity.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight many times throughout my life. Always gaining it back. This time I have learned to not only eat healthier, but to exercise better with strength and cardio. I look and feel better now than I have in my entire life. MFP has taught me to concentrate more on being healthy and strong than thin. MFP is the best thing I have ever found for my health! =)
  • millions47
    millions47 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    good morning, i have tried several different ways to lose the weight. weight watchers, atkins, diet soups but nothing helps. i have to control my calories. i have been on livestrong but really did not like it. i love love love love MFP and the people. I feel like it is apart of my life now.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yes. Here's the link to my most recent success story post!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/918358-they-cut-my-head-open-your-excuse-is-invalid
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call MFP a plan, per se. I would call it a large support and accountability community. I'm on a medically controlled and supervised program so I use MFP to record food/water intake. I recently discovered these message boards and the support/motivational aspects. The support and motivational aspects do a credit to social networking. I look forward to logging on to MFP and reading others success stories as it lessens the mental burden of my goal of 170 off.