Another obstacle to exercise.

Options
I am not stopping by any means. I've been training for a 5k for 6 weeks now and I'm not going to stop running until after my 5 K in 3 weeks. I developed a small umbilical hernia when I was pregnant with my son (18 plus years ago). It was small and contained within my belly button so I never did anything about it. In the last month or so I've been doing Pilates and the 200 sit up challenge. I was really starting to like the way my abs look too. Yesterday when doing my measurements, I noticed a soft lump above my belly button. I'm so annoyed and aggravated that I'm finally getting in shape and like the way I look. Then, this thing decides to happen. I can give up the ab work I guess. I'll be darned if I'm going to miss my run.

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am not stopping by any means. I've been training for a 5k for 6 weeks now and I'm not going to stop running until after my 5 K in 3 weeks. I developed a small umbilical hernia when I was pregnant with my son (18 plus years ago). It was small and contained within my belly button so I never did anything about it. In the last month or so I've been doing Pilates and the 200 sit up challenge. I was really starting to like the way my abs look too. Yesterday when doing my measurements, I noticed a soft lump above my belly button. I'm so annoyed and aggravated that I'm finally getting in shape and like the way I look. Then, this thing decides to happen. I can give up the ab work I guess. I'll be darned if I'm going to miss my run.

It has no where to hide!!! It prob has been there all along, but the stronger and tighter your muscles become, the more prominent the herniation appears.

Might be time for a dr's visit.

Great job on the exercise!!!
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear this! I can relate though, because I am in the same boat! I actually have hernia repair surgery scheduled for this coming Friday, and I am bummed about that! Why couldn't this have happened during the 4 months postpartum while I sat on my butt all day! But you definitely need to get to the doctor! If that hernia is strangulated and your blood supply is restricted to that area, it could result in some very serious problems! Don't ignore it! If it's getting worse it's time to get it fixed!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I'm getting a hysterectomy in June. I'm going to call my doc tomorrow and ask if this litte thing can be taken care of at the same time. I've known I've had it, just kinda forgot about it until I looked down and saw it. It's not very bad yet. I can push it back in and it's still soft. I just feel frustrated because I've been working so hard toward this run and working so hard on my abs.
  • summersmi
    summersmi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Take care of it as soon as possible. I had an Umbilical Hernia (probably since I was born and one day it just started hurting when I touch it. It took two surgeries and a lot of down time to fix it. Don't delay asking the doctor about this It can be a big deal.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I won't wait. It doesn't hurt now. It's soft and small enough that I can push it back in. If I find the running makes it get worse or it starts hurting, I will stop. I honestly think the situps are what made it get a little worse. I'm going to stop those altogether. I'm calling my doc tomorrow to see about getting it taken care of.
  • summersmi
    summersmi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was in the military at the time and doing a lot of sit-ups when it really started hurting. So you are probably right about the sit-ups. Good luck and I hope it turns out better for you.