Average calorie burn doing level 1 30 day shred

Options
I did the 30 Day Shred for the first time in a long time today with my heart rate monitor on...it said I only burned 151 calories. I didn't do the modified exercises, except for the pushups. I guess I was just expecting more. I run a lot and I notice that even when I run really hard, my heart rate goes maybe into the 180s at a full on sprint. During the video, it only got up to 161 max.

For those of you who are also doing the same thing, what are your typical calorie burns per session?

Replies

• traceyleighgirl
    traceyleighgirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about my calorie burn...but 151 calories burned I think is great! It's only a 20 minute exercise! :) It can definitely feel like longer haha, but I think that's a lot considering!
  • HPLW0705
    HPLW0705 Posts: 102
    Options
    True, it is only 20 minutes. I guess I'm just used to my runs and how I can burn 600 calories in 40 minutes. I need to add some strength training in somewhere, can't just completely stick to cardio, so I'm starting small. I'm thinking about increasing the weights, it was actually pretty easy! I was expecting the worst, and was really surprised!
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I usually burn between 200-250 on 30DS. I haven't done it in a while though.
  • LadyRhodes01
    LadyRhodes01 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    That sounds correct. My calorie burn with HRM, doing 30DS is 165. I end up doing more to reach 200. 160ish is still a great burn.

I enjoy running as well, and do 30DS as an add on to my regular routine. I was disappointed with the cal burn at first, but any burn is good.

The amount you burn is based on weigh, sex, and height. So, of course, low weight and short in height individuals don't burn as much as heavier or taller individuals.

So if that's you cal burn and you put in a great effort. I feel you should be proud of yourself. Job well done!!
  • 5hellz
    5hellz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I multiply my weight times 1.11 to give me the calories burned.....
  • HPLW0705
    Options
    I weigh around 145 and I'm 5'6, so I'm not too short...I'm happy with what I burned, but I think that I need to step it up a bit...what size weights do you use? Does that make a difference?
  • 5hellz
    Options
    I weigh around 145 and I'm 5'6, so I'm not too short...I'm happy with what I burned, but I think that I need to step it up a bit...what size weights do you use? Does that make a difference?

I'm working on my upper body strength so I only use 2lb weights and I struggle with that by the end of the workout.
    I'm 5'1 and 175, started out at 192 on January 13th
  • LadyRhodes01
    LadyRhodes01 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I use 5lb.

I think it does make a difference. I'm sure the heavier the weights, the more the heart rate increases, so you do burn more.

You're putting in a full effort. The 30DS isnt going to give you the calorie burn of a run. Running is straight cardio. Jillian's is a mix of cardio, strength, and core training.

I'm almost done with 30DS. I was thinking of doing TurboFire afterwards. I see cal burn with that are amazing.

What pound weights do you use?
  • HPLW0705
    Options
    I used 2lb weights last night. I'm thinking about going up to 5 since it was really easy for me.

I wasn't expecting the same calorie burn as a run, but I was expecting more than 151 I guess. I'm going to use 5lb weights tonight when I do day 2. Hopefully that will increase something. I'm not even sore or anything...hmmm
  • 5hellz
    Options
    Yeah you need to listen to your body cuz I was completely out of shape when I started this weight loss journey. Good job on day 1
    =)
  • blondie0922
    blondie0922 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I did it the other night with my HRM I burned 240.
  • stepgonz
    stepgonz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use 5 lb weights and according to my HRM i burn about 265
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I burn around 180 - 190. So no, it's not a huge burner but you'll still get good results.