Help ! very small weight loss since November

Hi to all experts on MFP,

I need your help. I have started in November but only lost 4 lbs. I currently weigh 209 lbs, 5ft8, female 51 years old. As I have not lost weight at the recommended calories of 1540, I upped my calories to 1740 but no change on the scale. I do strenght training / cardio twice a week and on the other days, I am on my stationary bycicle for 30 mins. I try to eat the healthy stuff but do not always succeed and have perhaps a treat for 100 kcals a day.

What do I have to change ? Your help is greatly appreciated :-)

Replies

• tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Not an expert, but... Did you remember to take measurements when you started? Inches lost trumps weight lost in my book.

More knowledgeable people here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Hi Tryclyn,

Yes, I did take measurements but I have only lost a small amount of inches too and only in the beginning. I will read the thread that you have given me but do you think my calories are too high ?
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Are you drinking a *kitten* ton of water?
  • hupsii
    I drink 1 liter of water plus half a liter of unsweetened tea a day. Do you think this is not enough ? Seem to always run to the toilet :blushing:
  • stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    Lol @ tricksee. Yes water intake is very important! I took a peek at your diary. Mfp sets carb levels quite high IMO. I would try cutting back on carbs and sugars and add in some more lean meats and veggies.
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Lol @ tricksee. Yes water intake is very important! I took a peek at your diary. Mfp sets carb levels quite high IMO. I would try cutting back on carbs and sugars and add in some more lean meats and veggies.

I was going to say the same thing. Reduce your carbs and up your protein. Especially if you are weight training.
  • stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    I drink 1 liter of water plus half a liter of unsweetened tea a day. Do you think this is not enough ? Seem to always run to the toilet :blushing:

I had to google how many ounces in a liter lol (33.8) you should try doubling that.
  • hupsii
    Ok - thanks a lot guys. I will try to drink more water and eat less carbs and more protein. See how it goes.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    you need to do more excersize too imo, you'll see your weight loss speed up massively if you get some more weight training and cardio in there, aim to burn roughly 500 calories a day and you'll see things move quicker
  • hupsii
    I do weight training / cardio twice a week in the gym. On all other days, I am on my stationary bike for 30 - 45 mins. Could perhaps try 3 days at the gym ...
  • twelfty
    yeah i'd definately up your weight training, sounds like you've got cardio about right, what weight training do you do?
  • twelfty
    sorry i've edited i can see why you're like "..." i missed off more
  • twelfty
    in that half an hour what sort of average speed are you doing? would you push yourself to 45 mins?
  • hupsii
    ok, I don't recall the speed but I burn about 280 kcals in 30 mins and sweat a lot. I guess, I could try to do 45 mins. Does it matter if I don't do it all in one go ?
  • Hi to all experts on MFP,

I need your help. I have started in November but only lost 4 lbs. I currently weigh 209 lbs, 5ft8, female 51 years old. As I have not lost weight at the recommended calories of 1540, I upped my calories to 1740 but no change on the scale. I do strenght training / cardio twice a week and on the other days, I am on my stationary bycicle for 30 mins. I try to eat the healthy stuff but do not always succeed and have perhaps a treat for 100 kcals a day.

What do I have to change ? Your help is greatly appreciated :-)

Hey there Hupsii,

first of all congratulation that you logg every day your calories!!

So that I am understanding this right. You are going 2 times in the gym and 5 days you doing cardio. Right?

I have a few question:

1. How long you are in the gym?
    2. What is your pulse at the stationary bike
    3. Do you maybee eat too less calories (because you are higher your TDEE with that weight training and cardio.)
    4. Do you rest enough?
    5. Do you sleep enough?

I would recommend that you should go to this site. These man is awesome. Just recheck your calories and from that do your math. I tried it out for you. It says like your Basal metabolic rate is at 1638 kcal / day. So don´t go under this. And for 1 - 3 hours of light exercise to have 20% calorie reduction you should eat about 1800 kcal / day. Just check on your own at -> http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    I mean its not that 100% accuracy, but you can normally count on that.

About Question 1:
    Experts say you should go about 45 - 60 minutes to gym weightlifting. Otherwise you put your body under stress. You could go 3 times to gym for full body workout, ask your personal trainer at the gym for an appropriate plan. After 4 - 6 weeks you can do split training (for example 2 split -> Monday Upper Body, Wednesday Lower Body, Frida Upper Body again etc etc.)

About Question 2:
    You can google your heart rate for your age .. and for that you can look for how elevate your pulse should be that you loose calories. About loosing calories. Its always better to do weightlifting to get more muscles to burn more calories. Also you should google about HIIT High Intensity Intervall Training.

About Question 3:
    Just check Scoobys site about that. He also has some real good videos on Youtube. He is charming and a wonderful man. Check on Youtube Scooby1961s channel. Also you can look for Tom Venuto on the net. He is the best coach about eating right !!!!

About Question 4:
    Do you rest enough. Normally you go on a high the first weeks and do too much... For my example.. I did 6 times jogging and 4 times gym. So you will be loosing much weight at the beginnning. But when 3 - 5 weeks go away you will slow down. Its important that you rest !!!! I, personally go 3 times to the gym and maybee 2 times jogging at the week. Weekend is resting time. If you cannot stay at home, go for a walk in the woods with family or do something else.

About Question 5:
    Sleep is existential for growing muscles. And as many experts say.... If you higher your muscle weight you will burn more calories.

I am waiting for your answers.

P.S. Sorry for my english. I am from Germany 8-)
    P.P.S. If you want add me on mfp 8-)
  • hupsii
    Hey Django1977

First of all your English is excellent ! My native tongue is also German and I will gladly add you as my friend,

I am trying to reply to all your questions :

1) I am usually 70 mins in the gym (40 mins of strength training and about 30 mins of cardio)
    2) sorry, I have to check my poulse but I believe it's about 114
    3) I always thought I eat too much ....I will recalculate this and check out the youtube - thanks for all the good advice :-)
    4 & 5) Yes, I sleep between 7 - 8 hours per night

@ all - thanks so much for all your advice !!
  • twelfty
    ok, I don't recall the speed but I burn about 280 kcals in 30 mins and sweat a lot. I guess, I could try to do 45 mins. Does it matter if I don't do it all in one go ?

not at all calories burnt are calories burnt as long as it's in one day, you might find yourself needing a days rest somewhere mid week but this is normal and a resting day even two a week is recommended
  • hupsii
    OK - I will rest one day
    drink more water
    eat more protein
    eat less carbs
    try to hit the gym 3 times

keep you posted :-)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    you might want to go to three days a week total body work out with weights where you build a program around squats, bench press, over head press, deadlifts etc and then make sure you are hitting legs/arms/back/shoulders three days a week with cardio two to three days a week ...and at least one rest per week too...
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Intensify your cardio. Not the length but riding staionary nike at 114 pulse is possibly not enough. Get the heart beating and sweat sweat sweat. Try shorter more intense cardio sessions or HIIT.