Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats. and vegetables.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    In my experience this is a lot less about fiber than it is about fat. You want to make sure you're getting enough fiber, but when people "diet" they often cut out so many sources of fat, and that's a terrible idea.

High protein, high carbs, low fiber, low fat = bad news. Eat lots of fat and eat lots of veggies and drink lots of water.
  • mazekah
    mazekah Posts: 52
    Options
    Water, herbal tea. Ideally 2 liters a day.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    As you already seem to have plenty of food in your diet, you might not be eating enough fat. Make sure you get enough good fats in your diet to help, err, lubricate things, as it were. It happens to me if I go too low-fat, and sometimes only a greasy pizza will get things moving again!

And running. A long run half an hour away from any toilets usually brings on an urgent need to go :laugh:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Avocados. People seem to forget that fat is needed for proper digestion as well. Avocados are a good source of healthy fat and fiber.
    Bingo! Going through the posts I was looking to see if anyone was going to say FAT! Fiber, water and exercise are important too, but don't rule out healthy fats in the diet - good for so many things, including keeping things running smoothly. :tongue:
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Start adding flax seed slowly to your meals...just sprinkle in cereal, in salads, on sandwiches...
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I would suggest 4 oz of prune juice.

This. That'll lube you up in no time!
  • mazekah
    Options
    Something I do daily that has done WONDERS for my "inner life" as it were: A green smoothie. I make a blender full, store in glass jars in 'fridge and drink over three days. Recipe: 2 c water, a fresh orange (peeled and cut in chunks), 1 small can of pineapple in juice (doesn't matter what kind), 1 apple (cut in chunks), 1 small avocado peeled and deseeded and 2 handfuls of baby spinach. You can also add a small piece of fresh ginger or ginger powder. Puree in blender until there are no discernible chunks. Usually takes about 2-3 minutes. Enjoy! Green Smoothies have done wonders for my health. I have mine right here ---- :) PS Be sure to chew the drink a little before swallowing, to get the mouth's digestive juices into the mix.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Dulcolax? Senokot? Epsom salts?
  • mazekah
    Options
    Bullet train to intestinal freedom? Cayenne pepper in hot lemonade w/ honey. Wheweee.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Cute dog!

I can't see your diary so it's a stab in the dark - I'm going to guess that you've started your diet and cut out as much fat as possible? If I go very low fat I end up constipated, I need it to grease the wheels as it were. Make sure you're getting enough fats in your diet, and I'm not talking about eating deep fried chicken here - olive oil, some full fat dairy, avocados, nuts.

Other than that, make sure you eat at least your 5-a-day of fruit and vegetables, plenty of wholegrain stuff, and exercise - that does somehow get things moving too (dunno how, maybe it just jiggles stuff about a bit :laugh: )

If you do all that and still nothing, try some senna tablets, they tend to be gentler than some laxatives, you don't want to end up the other way!
  • kdcshesback
    kdcshesback Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    WATER WATER WATER! Your fiber "sounds" okay. Fat from avocado is good. And exercise. Just my two cents!
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    ehm. from personal experience: water!

I've resorted to tricking myself. I now drink a whole glass of water first thing in the morning (before breakfast). and I've switched some of my coffee for tea; green tea particularly is good for your digestion.

Also, it could be something that you need to stop eating instead of something that you need to eat more. As I was monitoring my calorie-intake I sort of accidentally cut potatoes off my diet (seeing as I didn't get the volume I wanted for the calories I was allowed) and oh dear heaven, did that make a difference! Maybe you're sensitive to some type of food you eat - doesn't have to be potatoes, it could be something else.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Agree with the comments about fat. Chia seeds help get things moving too. Flax seeds work too well for me, they trigger my IBS. :blushing:
  • FettsLady
    FettsLady Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Eat apricots. I once ate a whole bag and was scared to sneeze for 3 days afterwards incase I shat myself.

LOL My husband did that with dried plums...he said they tasted so good he didn't realize he ate like 20. TWENTY PLUMS. Yes, he lived in the bathroom that day
  • FettsLady
    FettsLady Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Water water water!! Personal experience. Between plenty of water and getting exercise, your bowels will get to moving :)
  • Gizzy1976
    Gizzy1976 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem since starting dieting. I've been eating my five a day but from all your comments I'm not eating enough fat.

Thanks ladies n gents, I'll give it a go ????
  • debs6261
    debs6261 Posts: 3
    Options
    I've upped my exercise a little and water intake today, if nothing in the morning then I will try switching my wholemeal bread back to my normal (fattier) brand. this is one of the main things I have cut out including butter. I'm already a BiG coffee drinker and this alone normally gets me going.

Thanks so much for all your input peeps ;)
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    two glasses of room temp water once you wake up in the morning....don't gulp it.