Carbs- staying under?!

Options
kgj66
kgj66 Posts: 22 Member
I have my macros set to 40c/30p/30f.

1) Is this ok if I am looking to generally lose weight and build muscle. I had it at 40p, but I was finding it very hard to balance calories and high protein - I am not meat's biggest fan, have to really force cheese into myself (cottage cheese is gross!!) so any tips there would be good.
2) I keep going over my carbs- does it matter if you are going over with vegetables? Who knew carrots and peas were so full of carbs! I generally don't eat bread/ pasta etc.

I just hate seeing those red numbers!!

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of meat either and I hate eggs, which doesn't help. I eat a lot of greek yogurt and cottage cheese and I try to choose veggies that have protein. Peas, broccoli, mushrooms, and spinach are regulars in my diary. I also like hummus and nuts for protein. Quinoa has a good amount too but it's expensive so I don't have it much.

I'm finding though that it's a lot easier to just have some meat. I get shrimp and chicken, divide it into single servings, and make myself fajitas for lunch. If you like eggs that's a good way to get protein as well.

I don't have my carbs set quite as low as yours. I have protein set to 98 grams (1 gram per pound of LBM), fat to 49 (.35 grams per pound of body weight) and the rest is carbs. I worry about hitting protein first and the rest tends to fall into place.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Beans and rice are great on proteins. Milk. Eggs (if you don't like the flavor try disguising it, eg. blend large egg well with a banana and cook as pancakes. Add berries or walnuts for variety) or even just egg whites (maybe find a low cal meringue recipe). Also is it all types of meat you don't like? What about fish and seafood? Tofu is a good option as well and takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it in. You can try adding a protein drink (I use Body Fortress, 26 g protein per scoop). Also carbs on veggies aren't bad. They're veggies. Load 'em on. Yogurt (especially Greek yogurt which is higher in protein. Go with the plain nonsweetened to keep your other macros down and sweeten it yourself if you need). Any variety of nuts and seeds. Spirulina. Lentils.
  • kgj66
    kgj66 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's not that I don't like meat - I just find when I eat enough to hit protein macro it can put me over on calories. I suppose I should just cut down on the things I really like elsewhere and work on the protein. Have been eating a lot of prawns recently - they are great as low cal and good for protein and yummy!

I thought about protein powder- is it ok to take though if you aren't working seriously hard to build muscle? I (naively probably) thought it was more for people in strength training. I do strength training maybe 2 -3 times a week, but only light weights and high reps.

I usually eat 1 boiled egg a day, try to have spinach in smoothies and with dinner. Didn't realize greek yoghurt was good! I will give it a go - maybe for breakfast.

I LOVE houmous - it's usually a daily snack with carrots, but again slightly higher in calories, even the lower fat stuff :(

Angelamber- could you please explain; Ihave protein set to 98 grams (1 gram per pound of LBM). How would I work out ideal amount of protein for myself? What is LBM?

Thanks.