calories needed to lose weight

Options
I am trying to lose 10 more pounds. Most website calculators I use tell me to eat about 1500 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week. However here at myfitnesspal, it tells me I can only eat 1300 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week. Does anyone know why myfitness pal is so low? And which one should I go by?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It depends on what equation it uses and which activity level you have it set at. If you feel 1300 is low, then eat 1500 calories for a month to see if you average 1 lb per week. Also, if you exercise you can eat more anyways.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    try both for a few weeks and review your results. Everybody is different and the formula is just a guide anyway. Weight loss is not a 'set in stone' plan that works for everybody based on a certain number. Tweak the guide to find your place.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose 10 more pounds. Most website calculators I use tell me to eat about 1500 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week. However here at myfitnesspal, it tells me I can only eat 1300 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week. Does anyone know why myfitness pal is so low? And which one should I go by?

MFP is usually lower as it doesnt include exercise calories - which would probably put you up to 1500 or more on workout days.
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    MFP is notorious for under calculating. do your own numbers and stick with that. don`t be afraid to eat your calories; you body needs fuel in order to burn efficiently.
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Few notes Ive scribbled on my blog here might help as well

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/DarrelBirkett/view/post-contents-503047