Are heart rate monitors bogus?

Options

Replies

• eduardoschoen
    Options
    I used to think they were bonus until I bought a Polar RS300X and regularly have it custom set to my periodic metabolic test results at Lifetime Fitness. The target heart rates and V02 max is adjusted in the watch based on my actual data. I repeat the test every 3-4 months. There is a cost for this service but I do feel that it provides an excellent picture of my caloric expenditures throughout a given exercise session.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My ft7 shows me well under what mfp for calories burnt yet higher than what the machine says I burned off.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I used to think they were bonus until I bought a Polar RS300X and regularly have it custom set to my periodic metabolic test results at Lifetime Fitness. The target heart rates and V02 max is adjusted in the watch based on my actual data. I repeat the test every 3-4 months. There is a cost for this service but I do feel that it provides an excellent picture of my caloric expenditures throughout a given exercise session.

This is what I've been saying about HRMs. If you actually know your current VO2max, can program it into your HRM, and can regularly update your VO2max, then HRMs are much more useful. If not... they're kinda useless for calories IMO
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased a heart rate monitor and received a RUDE AWAKENING.

Now, I'm 100 pounds overweight doing these exercises so keep that in mind when I give you my counts.

1 hour on the bike - MFP tells me it's somewhere betweeen 900 and 1000 calories burned depending on my speed
    1 hour on the bike - my bike tells me it's about 750 calories burned (my bike doesn't take into account weight or height)
    1 hour on the bike - my heart rate monitor tells me it's about 350 calories burned

I always thought MFP counts were high so I always subtracked 2-300 hundred from what it gave me but wow, wasn't expecting this!

This makes sense. My only guess is that people have faulty devices. Also, I keep reading that devices should be wet to detect proper heartbeat. They sell gels along with HRM's on Amazon, though wetting them is probably enough.

I also suspect maybe people are "plugging" these crazy #'s in them selves. Who knows, but HRM's can't be that much off, can they? ... unless they're faulty?
  • tRiNaBeAnZz
    tRiNaBeAnZz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think tracking everyday activities is counterproductive, even though it might make people feel good about what they are told they have accomplished. IMO, unless you have changed into something suitable for working out then the calories should not be counted and even when you do then the calories should be averaged...if you are going to count of course. Daily activities shouldn't have an impact on your weight loss goals IMHO, I mean we added on the pounds while doing these same exact things right? We did not, however, add these pounds while busting *kitten* in the gym, warehouse, trail or wherever it is that you prefer to train. Something to think about.

Everyone is different, I know a lot of people who use HRMs, and the same workout shows completely different results. I can do TurboFire Fire 55 EZ class and burn around 400-500 calories, while someone else burns 800-1000. It is frustrating but my body just doesn't burn large amounts of calories.

I will sometimes log walking the dog or walking at the store if I am in there for over an hour, or when I carry groceries up two flights of stairs, but I don't eat back my exercise calories so I am not "cheating myself". I may log cleaning or something else to keep track of movement, but I do not count it towards my weight loss programs.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I also suspect maybe people are "plugging" these crazy #'s in them selves. Who knows, but HRM's can't be that much off, can they? ... unless they're faulty?

Sure they can. If you get an untrained individual, their heart can be absolutely pounding with minimal energy expenditure.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i think they are kind of pointless. If you are out of shape and unhealthy your heart is going to beat much faster during exercise than it would if your heart was healthy. That doesnt mean youre burning more calories, it means you heart is undergoing stress its not used to. Your recovery rate is also going to be much longer. It will take your heart longer to slow down after exercise- again not because your burning more calories but because the heart is under stress and not used to what its being put through.

I think IF you are healthy and your heart is in good shape and used to regular exercise it might be of some use- only to say "you were really working hard for this long" so I estimate you burned this many calories
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

Sure they can. If you get an untrained individual, their heart can be absolutely pounding with minimal energy expenditure.

this exactly.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

Good point. And saw your other post about V02 MAX. Thanks.
  • andrewjcarter
    Options
    So if I moved some furniture or mowed the lawn etc. I wouldn't count that in MFP as a burn - it's just a bonus that adds up to a bit of extra weight loss over time.

I only log exercise at the gym or on the walking machine at home and I get calories from my FT40. Then I allow myself to eat them all back up.
  • TotallyNotBillNye
    Options
    So because we are all different we can log everything to make ourselves feel accomplished? I hate to be abrasive but this is keeping from personal goals and also potentially passing on terrible habits to the next person. If you are not specifically "working out" then it shouldn't count towards your goals...of course there is always the exception, I have seen some men and women throw down when it comes to cleaning their homes and by all means that should count IMO, it can be quite strenuous. So make time or skip it and feel bad then do better next time., but please don't lie to yourselves or the rest of us. A good workout session with inaccurate numbers beats a "walk in the park" any day.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    My ft7 shows me well under what mfp for calories burnt yet higher than what the machine says I burned off.

Machines are just estimating based on how fast and time. If you have a HRM, a lot of times they will sync up with the newer treads, ellipticals, etc. to show you your burn in front of you. But, depending on the strength of the charge, it'll sometimes fail. Keep the chest strap tight.
  • TotallyNotBillNye
    Options
    what happened to sweat and gasping for air?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    . If you are not specifically "working out" then it shouldn't count towards your goals...

Total nonsense. Calories are calories whether you're walking from Best Buy to Macy's in the mall or walking on a treadmill.
  • TotallyNotBillNye
    Options
    . If you are not specifically "working out" then it shouldn't count towards your goals...

Total nonsense. Calories are calories whether you're walking from Best Buy to Macy's in the mall or walking on a treadmill.

I agree, although it is not "total nonsense". These calories are already estimated and factored in to MFP and this is why they ask what type of lifestyle you currently lead, right? Now, with this already factored in, why would anyone want to count these calories as "exercise" calories, thus taking away from their overall goals they are currently following? It isn't cool to hand out bad advice, brah. "KEBROSIS"
  • jonnythan
    Options

I agree, although it is not "total nonsense". These calories are already estimated and factored in to MFP

No they're not. Or they might not be, depending on what your settings are. My setting is for sedentary. Walking around a mall for an hour is not included in that. Neither is going to Six Flags, cleaning the house, building some furniture, whatever. And neither is tennis, which is certainly a workout but not "specifically working out."

You should account for all the calories you burn, period. Wherever they come from. If you feel that something was already included in MFP's estimate, don't log it. If it wasn't already included, log it. It doesn't matter whether the purpose is exercise or not.
  • TotallyNotBillNye
    Options

No they're not. Or they might not be, depending on what your settings are. My setting is for sedentary. Walking around a mall for an hour is not included in that. Neither is going to Six Flags, cleaning the house, building some furniture, whatever. And neither is tennis, which is certainly a workout but not "specifically working out."

You should account for all the calories you burn, period. Wherever they come from. If you feel that something was already included in MFP's estimate, don't log it. If it wasn't already included, log it. It doesn't matter whether the purpose is exercise or not.

UmpOi.gif
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I think people are grossly over estimating. I might do a Les Mills Body Combat group fitness class where I am busting my butt. I can burn between 400-500 cals in 50 minutes. Im 213lbs!!
  • jme6976
    jme6976 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So a girl in my Zumba class wears her hrm and is burning about 600 cal an hour (intense effort) and I use Mfp estimate for dancing and get around 300. We are different sizes but both are working at intense effort stage (lots of sweating). Many people say Mfp over estimates but I wonder if I'm really getting 300? My hrm should be delivered tomorrow (bodymedia fit) so will be interesting to compare results.

Eta: bodymedia claims 90% accuracy for calories burned.