IUD

Options
MSeel1984
MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
This is rough.

I'm only 1 week into my IUD and already my period is worse...it's been going on for 2 weeks now.

How long before this gets better? I have a follow-up with my GYN next week but I'm miserable.

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Which one, Mirena or copper?
  • JamieDaniel84
    Options
    You just have to give it some time. The same thing happened to me when I got mine. But after like 6 months of having it, my period only comes maybe once every two months and only for an hour and its barely anything at all. If its a copper IUD without hormones, then nothing will change for you, but if its like the mirena with hormones, you should see a difference in the coming months. But since you just got, it will take some before your period lightens up.

I was having second thoughts about it since I had that same problem and it made me gain weight, but I stuck it out and I am glad I did.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Which one, Mirena or copper?

Mirena
  • Kttyler87
    Kttyler87 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have had my mirena for months (roughly 5) and my period is still messed up its very light but it lasts a veryyyyyy long time. I think that it just needs to get more into my system and yours as well.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, but Jamie is correct, you have to give it some time. I have the MIrina and when I first got mine about 5 months ago. I gained 7 lbs in a month, I started getting acne like crazy! and my period was all over the place. It is now starting to even out and my acne is cleaing up. I still want it out because I just don't feel 100% like my old self, but I don't know whay other options are out there. I asked my husband to get a vacetomy.....waiting.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena inserted on March 6 and I am one of the lucky ones so I have been told I have had no problems, but my doctor did tell me that bleeding may be worse in the beginning and that I would have to watch and make sure that if the bleeding was really bad the iud may come out. Unfortunately there really isn't much you can do but to wait it out and see what happens they say it gets better over time. I haven't had any bleeding yet (except right after the procedure) but I am not due for a period yet either. If it is really bad I would call your doctors office I know at my office his nurse is always available to chat and alleviate any concerns you may have.
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Mirena just about killed my period - i have not had a proper one since i had it installed. I am thinking about going to Paragard for the next go-round. Hormone Free.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have had my mirena for months (roughly 5) and my period is still messed up its very light but it lasts a veryyyyyy long time. I think that it just needs to get more into my system and yours as well.

I just got my Mirena IUD in February. I spotted the day of the insertion and a little the day after but then my period showed up not even 3 weeks after my last period and I have been bleeding every since (3 weeks now). It is much lighter than my periods were before and somedays more like spotting, but that fact that it has been going on for over 3 weeks now is very annoying. Just when I think it's gone it comes back. lol I am really hoping that in time it will straighten out.
  • jlg6599
    jlg6599 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had the Copper T for 7 years and did not have any issues with an irregular cycle. I had mild cramping occassionally, but that was it. I think it may be the brand that causes some of the issues you are having. I'm sure the other women are correct, but if it doesn't change after a few months you may need to consult your physician.
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    http://iud-divas.livejournal.com/

Great resource right there!!

I think a lot of people's personal experiences with IUD's really depends on how their periods were before insertion. OP, just give it some time. 1 week is hardly enough time to make a judgement. :)

I always had a normal period with mild cramps before my IUD. I've had Mirena now for 16 months. My periods have been a lot lighter and shorter since insertion and cramping has practically disappeared, but just last month I had my first experience with a long-lasting period. I had a normal period lasting a few days, and then a few days of nothing, and then it started back up and lasted 2 weeks. It was all pretty light, but still quite an annoyance.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Some people have different reactions to the Mirena based on their own hormonal chemistry. Might also be worth researching if other health concerns (diabetes or not having had children if they apply) affect one's success with IUDs. I had a miserable time with the Mirena, but I've never had kids. I had it removed after just over a year. One of my sisters has had kids and has a Mirena. She LOVES it and has had no issues.

The thread below is a perfect example of how some LOVE it and have no problems. Some of them are on their second installation! For others, it's a ****ing nightmare.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/329675-did-you-lose-weight-after-having-the-mirena-taken-out
  • Kttyler87
    Kttyler87 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

I just got my Mirena IUD in February. I spotted the day of the insertion and a little the day after but then my period showed up not even 3 weeks after my last period and I have been bleeding every since (3 weeks now). It is much lighter than my periods were before and somedays more like spotting, but that fact that it has been going on for over 3 weeks now is very annoying. Just when I think it's gone it comes back. lol I am really hoping that in time it will straighten out.

Mine has been like this for a while now, Its VERY light now though. Its just more of a constant annoyance.
  • FitWithTiff
    Options
    I've had mine for nearly 4-years (mirena) and it has not been worth it to be honest. My cycles sometimes come twice a month... random spotting, anytime I am sexually active spot for a day and then it will stop. I asked my gyno to insert para-guard, but he insisted I have a tubal done pretty much... hope it gets better for you!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Mine is copper. Had 6 months of annoying heavy periods, but it has gotten much better the last two. Months 5/6. Stick with it! I have the hormone free due to complications with hormones. Hear the mirena is better for periods, but I'm never allowed hormones again! X
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I spotted off and on for a few weeks after (nothing much) and have only had random spotting since.. and that was January 2012.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Your mirena should settle down. I had the copper one, it just got worse because there were no hormones in there to regulate it.
    It fell out a couple of weeks ago after 3 weeks of pain and agony! Back on depo now, phew!
  • sarahisfocused
    sarahisfocused Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The ten year ones I heard that the periods get heavier. The five year ones are supposed to dissapear with time. eventually you'll stop getting your period all together but that's over the span of months.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Eating dark leafy greens (kale, spinach, collards) in large quantities days before your period starts can really help reduce or even eliminate cramps, regardless of what kind of birth control you are using.

I am making kale chips today. :-)
  • Nsmurphy
    Nsmurphy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have had my Mirena for almost 5 years now ! And I LOVE it, I have had no problems over the years, I do remember having heavy bleeding the first couple of weeks, but then after that it’s been smooth sailing ! I almost never have a period, and If I do it lasts for like 1 day and then it’s gone. I will defiantly have it replaced soon with another Mirena. Now I have talked to some girls who did not like it due to the bleeding in the beginning and had them removed, but I think they just needed to give it some time. Everybody is different, but I think you should wait it out.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Warning TMI ~I had to get the copper one removed, I got the Mirena and Im on the second one 9 years now! Still Kid free, well I have 1

It did take awhile for my body to adjust, you just need to give it time Dear, I didn't have any issues after 6months, but it took that long.
    I never have a period, I love it..