Hyperglycemia!!! What do you eat?

Options
I know i have posted about this before but back in January we found out that my husband has hyperglycemia, which for those that dont know it means you have to much sugar in your blood. The dr told us that we can control it through diet, my question is what meals do you make? We have been trying different things but now im running out of ideas and then it makes him eat bad things and then he feels bad. I Also want to keep him healthy cause it worries me that it will kill him eventually if i dont keep good meals going. We seem to back slide into the meals we used to make. So please give me ideas or a web site or books i can refer to! thanks a million!!

Replies

• Pennhotmom
    Pennhotmom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Try things that include more vegetable not as much carbohydrates. I don't believe that carbs are bad, but many do contain more sugar that you might think and limiting them should help you reach your goal.

Also nice lean meat is always good and some whole grains think fiber are options.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    If you haven't looked in the glyemic index, that is a great resource for those who need to be aware of their carbs without necissarily counting calories.
    Otherwise, there are 5 billion diabetic recipies out there (your husband will want to eat like a diabetic).

It will all taking planning, weighing of portions, and measuring. That is where the adjustment will be.

There is no health risk to you reducing your carbs to your husbands levels, and that will probably be easier for meal planning and prep (plus, veggies tend to have less calories than grains).

Or (from when I last did diabetes councelling)

1 "serving" or carbs is 15 grams
    1 "serving" of protien is 5 grams
    Adding protien in with carbs will keep bloodsugars from skyrocketing and plummeting, giving a slower and more gentle rise and fall. The carbs are a max, the protiens a min.

Based on a standard 2000kcal diet:
    breakfast
    1-2 servings of carbs
    1 serving protien

snack (optional)
    1 serving carb

lunch
    2-3 servings of carbs
    2 servings protien

snack (optional)
    1 serving carb

supper
    2-3 serving carbs
    2-3 servings protiens

snack (optional)
    1-2 servings carbs

With this breakdown, "carbs" are referencing mostly breads, rice, pasta, cereals, corn.. grains essentially. But, milk, yogurt, beans, legumes, and fruits are also high enough in sugars to be measured and counted. Veggies (with the exception of corn, squashes, potatoes and sweet potatoes) are so low GI that they have little effect on bloodsugars, and therefore can be eaten freely. Extra protiens can also be added freely.

It's been over 2 years since my last child (hence my last gestational diabetes councelling), so my information may very well be out of date. Your doctor should be able to refer you to a registered diatician to help you plan meals.