Gym Etiquette

Options
AIZZO4
AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
So I am at the gym and I find myself glancing at other people from time to time. I hear all the time some girls hate going to the gym because they don't like guys staring at them. I completely understand. My question is, is it ok to do a quick glance? Or is that just terrible gym etiquette?

Replies

• jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think people in general should be able to work out without being objectified. Women look at men at the gym also. As a typical male, I find it difficult not to observe members of the opposite sex working out when they wear gym clothes which barely cover their bodies. I never stare and try to be discrete because I know they may not want people gawking. It is human nature to admire attractive members of the human race.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i think it is fine to look or take quick glances but staring is not good.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    If women didn't want men looking at them they wouldn't wear yoga pants.
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Glancing is ok. Makes a lady feel good. But the staring gets creepy. Lol!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    It's terrible gym etiquette to look anywhere BUT your machine or weights that your using.

This clearly makes you a creep.

Just like wearing make up in the gym makes you a hooker.
  • SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I watch men in the weight room. I'm always looking for new exercises and I pay attention to form. Usually if I'm staring it's because the guy is using bad form and I'm expecting a clavicle to pop or something. I think it's ok to watch.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    just don't get caught
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    TAKE A GOOD LONG STARE.
    WE ARE STARING RIGHT BACK.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    i think it is fine to look or take quick glances but staring is not good.

I have a habit of staring off into the distance and it could be perceived as me staring at someone.

I can honestly say that if I see what I think is someone staring at me they're doing so because I'm in great shape. Sometimes it can look like someone is staring when they are actually looking up at the television or at themselves in the mirror while they do their cardio.

Unless someone is standing right in front of me staring like a real creep then I just assume that the person in question is just either looking or gazing off into space.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I look around all the time. Guys, girls, gym equipment, the ceiling, snack bar, whatever- I find staring at the TV or machine display boring. But like anywhere, staring is considered rude, and people are going to be more sensitive when they are in a place where they are critiquing their own bodies already- they assume you are too.

People are too full of themselves anyway, just because I am looking in your direction doesn't mean I have even noticed you.

As long as you aren't gawking (be honest), you are totally fine.
  • healthyjmt
    Options
    This made me laugh. I knew there was a reason I wear baggy sweatpants - put my hair in a pony tail and put on a ball hat. No one would want to look at me - ha!
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    There's a big difference between taking a look at what someone is doing and leering in a predatory fashion.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    If she's dressed like I should be following her around with a camera with a Girls Gone Wild sticker on it then she's getting stared at and I have no shame. Other than that, quick look.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Better play it safe and wear horse blinders.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If women didn't want men looking at them they wouldn't wear yoga pants.

This way of thinking really frustrates me! So we should be covered from head to toe in baggy clothes so that we get far too hot and our trousers get all tangled together up when we try to sprint on the treadmill? That is actually ridiculous!
    "Oh she's wearing shorts, therefore I am entitled to gawk?" I don't think so! Maybe she's a little bit warm from exercising?!

In regards to glancing around, we all glance around between sets etc, the only other option is to study your own bellybutton, just don't be a perv.
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Oh just stare dude. I mean seriously, any chick that starts stretching with legs wide open in front of the treadmills full of guys is wanting to be stared at. So don't look, gawk.
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If she's dressed like I should be following her around with a camera with a Girls Gone Wild sticker on it then she's getting stared at and I have no shame. Other than that, quick look.

gross.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    It's terrible gym etiquette to look anywhere BUT your machine or weights that your using.

This clearly makes you a creep.

Just like wearing make up in the gym makes you a hooker.

wow..a **** ton of hookers go to my gym then....and they all take part in the silver sneakers workout.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    This made me laugh. I knew there was a reason I wear baggy sweatpants - put my hair in a pony tail and put on a ball hat. No one would want to look at me - ha!

Psshhh...I love my wife in a ball cap and pony tail with saggy sweats!
  • BrainsOnGains
    BrainsOnGains Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    as soon as I get caught I act like I am sneezing..