From walking to running

Options
How did you transition from walking to running? I am not sure if I even want to run but I want to try and see if I can do it. I still need to lose about 80 lbs. so I don't want to hurt myself. Did you just one day try to run? Or do you build up to it?

Replies

• llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    C25K: http://www.c25k.com/

I began the program on a whim nearly 2 years ago, because there was a lot of buzz about it in the fitness forum, and 9 weeks later I was a runner. Still am.
  • Angel03744
    Angel03744 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I started my running to Music...I did this cross country. come rain or shine.
    I ran one song, walked one song, ran one song walked.. ect ect for 20 mins on week 1 & 2.
    Then week 3 &4 upped it to 30 mins,... then as I felt more able and willing to push myself I upped it to 60 mins over the next few months.

18 month on I run daily - Consistently for 45 mins at 6mph & 6% elevation - I now use a treadmill tho as an old knee and ankle injury started hindering my cross runs :(

Make sure you invest in a good quality pair of running shoes. I use Addidas,now ( used to use Nike, But I kept damaging the air sockets in the heels due to my ankle injury )

I will point out the importance of doing a warm up walk ( around 6 mins at a preety fast pace with plenty of high Knee ups to stretch your muscles... and then after do around 15 mins of cool down stretches to avoid cramps!!!
    Over all tho, try to push yourself, But listen to your body.
  • Lisabel
    Lisabel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5k is an excellent way to start
  • alexapatel
    alexapatel Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I started by just jumping into it and running and I eventually ran a mile after about a month. However, I could not consistently run a mile. I've started c25k and have been making good progress on it! I am about to go to Week 4 Day 2 tonight.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I kind of just felt compelled one day. I was walking regularly on a trail at a nearby park and was losing weight, getting fitter in the gym. One day I just felt the urge to run – kind of like a kid – so I started running. That first day I made it all the way around the path (3/4 mile) and you'd have thought finished the Boston Marathon. After that, I just ran more and more until it became my norm.