So what's the average running time...

Options
...for a 5k? I fully intend to run one in the fall (starting with nothing...and asthma).

A goal of a 5k is good, but I'd like some input on timing miles.

Replies

• bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    For my first 5k I ran it in 38 minutes. This was at a slow jog with about 2 min of walking total. The C25K app is good for training to get you there.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Looking at one of our recent local races for your age group the winner had a time of 25:00 and the median time was around 31:00.

The overall female winner was 23 years old with a time of 18:51.

For the entire field, both men and women, the median time was around 31:00. FIrst place was 16:19 and last place was 53:34.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that Scott!

I have until October...and I'm currently at 3 miles at 58 minutes. It's majority walking because I'm just starting out and the asthma is a pain...

But that helps alot with giving me ballpark figures! :smile:
  • TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first 5k on Sunday after completing the c25k program in December. My time was 30 minutes 43 seconds. I was pretty happy with that result for my first ever race. It was very cold and I'm not sure if that helped, but I've been running 10 minute miles for a few weeks now so I guess that is where I should be. Hoping to break 30 minutes next race in April. Good luck.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    In my last 5k (a trail run so YMMV), winning time was 17:52. Last finisher (206th) was 65:13. So mean was 41:32 and median was 29:57

A race last year (road, morning of the super bowl in CA, so chilly but not cold), 16:10 to 92:02 (1071 runners). Mean: 54:06 Median: 33:45
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that Scott!

I have until October...and I'm currently at 3 miles at 58 minutes. It's majority walking because I'm just starting out and the asthma is a pain...

But that helps alot with giving me ballpark figures! :smile:

Have you checked out the Couch to 5K plan? It starts in intervals to get your body used to running and gradually weans you off the walking (although, obviously you could walk whenever needed). Jeff Galloway has a training plan as well, and I believe he advocates for walking breaks.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    The right time is whatever time you finish in :)

I think a sub 20 will put you near the overall podium; low 20s are stellar and might get you a top finish in your age group (depending).

But seriously, don't compare yourself to others, go out and beat you!
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think the average 5k runner does about 30min. I ran my first one in 26min without any training and in 5 degree weather, so I definitely surprised myself. You may do the same :) Ya never know what your body is capable of!
  • jennacote
    jennacote Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k on Thanksgiving after using the C25K program on and off and barely running in the weeks prior (due to job demands) and finished at 37 minutes. I completed my second 5k on St Patrick's day with running more (but by no means regularly) and doing Zumba, yoga, and the 30 Day Shred, in 33 minutes. I say you should only compare your time to your prior times - trying to beat others or push yourself too hard could lead to injury or discouragement.

Good luck!
  • adstar20
    adstar20 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For what its worth, on runkeeper.com based on an email I received when I hit a new personal best, the median pace for running 5km is 6:24 per km (32:00 total time) and the 75th percentile is 5:35 per km (27:55 total time). Those are probably pretty good indicators as there would be a huge cross section of people using the website.
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Your only goal for your first race should be to finish upright and smiling.
    Don't compare yourself to other runners. You should only be focused on seeing progress in yourself.

I did my first 5k in 34:05. My current best 5k time is 27:17. I'm very happy with the progress.

There will be runners finishing 5k between 15 minutes and 1 hour +. As long as the course doesn't close after a particular time period then it's all good. There are a lot of people that walk the 5k.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Your only goal for your first race should be to finish upright and smiling.
    Don't compare yourself to other runners. You should only be focused on seeing progress in yourself.

This!
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My first 5k ever was 48 mins (I walked alot and was in awful shape).

I practiced and lost some weight and now I try to finish them in 30 mins.

The goal is to finish... doesn't matter how fast... just do it! :wink: Good luck!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k on the 9th, time was 28:12. I had been training with c25k beginning in november and I had been trying to improve my time since I finished the program. My goal was 30 minutes. I didn't walk at all.
  • kaitlynelkins9
    kaitlynelkins9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the average tends to be around 30 minutes or so, but the range is quite large. Instead of basing your goals on typical times for other runners, I'd suggest taking inventory of your pace during your training and formulating a goal time based on that. If you rest for a couple of days before the race and don't train too hard the week before, you will likely surprise yourself with how fast you can run on race day. Regardless of your time, the most important goal is to finish well. Crossing the finish line is the best accomplishment. Good luck!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Honestly if this is your first race don't focus on the time.

You always RUN your first and RACE your second.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Like you'll hear from everyone, it depends. I had a good cardio base from all my cycling, so when I started my run training, I wasn't too terrible. I train at just under 10 minute miles, sometimes as fast as 9:00. I usually finish 5K in 30-32 minutes during my training runs. When going for just a 5K, it's around 29:00.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about times for anyone else. I have short legs, so my running times are NEVER going to win races. I've started doing a weekly Park Run 5k, and am coming in just over 34 minutes. If I can get my time under 30 minutes that will be a HUGE achievement (that's over 10% of an improvement on speed). Ignore everyone else - the only thing you have to beat is the voice in your head that says you can't do it.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I started with the C25K and have gradually reduced my times for 5K since July last year. My times are in my profile and these are for a continuous run, however I do run on the treadmill which is easier. The following site has an age grading calculator in the advice section

http://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/AgeGrading.asp
  • filthyfit12
    Options
    My fastest time is 29 minutes and change.