Shinsplints!!!!!

Options
So I'm getting to the point where I feel like I could be running. As in, my body feels as though it really wants to run. Which is fantastic, but after about a minute and a half the shinsplints kick in and I'm back to walking. Other than losing more weight, does anyone have any suggestions?

I really appreciate any input, especially from runners who've dealt with shinsplints. Thanks!

Replies

• dulcemiel
    dulcemiel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm personally not a runner (yet). But I would suggest when you are sitting on a chair , with your feet doing air ABC"s. Meaning try and use your foot to draw a capital A, B, C etc. the flection and extension will help to stretch your shines, since that is a tough area. the only other suggestion is ice them after a tough workout. Good luck.
  • ausped
    ausped Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting fitted for running shoes at a running store. They will usually do it for free. The shoes may be pricey but worth it if you are not in pain. I also have shin pain at time and have compression sleeves for the really long runs (over 10 miles).
    Hope that helps.
    You can add me as a friend if you want.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'm personally not a runner (yet). But I would suggest when you are sitting on a chair , with your feet doing air ABC"s. Meaning try and use your foot to draw a capital A, B, C etc. the flection and extension will help to stretch your shines, since that is a tough area. the only other suggestion is ice them after a tough workout. Good luck.

Perfect. Do exactly this because it does help a lot. If you haven't been fitted for some good running shoes I would suggest that as well. Try not to run on concrete if you can avoid it. Asphalt is better. Dirt/grass is even better than that. The compression sleeves for your shins do help some people. All good suggestions.

Be patient and keep at it. Walk when you have to and give yourself some time to adjust to the new level of activity. Your body will adjust. Shin splints were a big issue for me this last fall but now it's not any sort of problem at all. You'll get there. Just keep at it.
  • bowhuntr09
    bowhuntr09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Best thing I did for mine was going to a running store and getting the right shoes and getting shin compression sleeves. The sleeves are amazing for me, cant recommend them highly enough!!
  • bgraz1994
    bgraz1994 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Rest! Do not start running until they are 100% healed!

I am training to be a professional dancer and I developped shinsplints, continued to use my legs and viola three stress fractures. Shinsplints are an overuse injury so until they have healed all the way you really shouldn't irritate them.

What I do to maintain fitness is the elliptical. I'll admit I prefer to go outdoors and run but its pretty similar. I also walk alot, but make sure you wear supportive running shoes.