How fattening is Sushi?

Ok so I have a meal out at Yo! Sushi tomorrow and wondering how many calories are in the average sushi dish? I will be leaning more towards the vegetarian options and avoiding anything greasy or soaked in oil.
How healthy is sushi really?
I know it's all carbs and carbs = fat if not burned off. I will not be attending the gym this week, so need help on this please!
Thankyou!

Replies

• Sushi can be a really low calorie food...from what I understand though, no 2 chefs are alike so there may be some differences in calories based on amounts of product used. I know that rice has a lot of carbs, but I don't think a roll of sushi has more than 400 calories.
  • ileitch
    ileitch Posts: 99
    According to MFP, 1 California Roll (12 pieces) is 361 calories, 66 grams carbohydrate, 6 grams fat, 10 grams protein. Could be worse. Have fun.
  • But most times a roll of sushi consists of only 6 pieces, right? I think you'll be fine. Enjoy yourself - I love sushi...so maybe I'm a bit biased LOL.
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    I think sushi is a fairly healthy choice. And if you are like me, it is easy not to overdo it. Just stay away from the tempura and you should be good!
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    You should see if they offer brown rice sushi. It is way healthier than the white rice sushi. Also don't eat anything that says tempura, that means battered and fried. Enjoy!
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    If anything, it's white rice that will get ya. That's really what you need to limit. And, tempura as well. Sashimi (sushi without the rice) might be the way to go. Just do a web search to find out calorie content of specific dishes that you may want to eat. I absolutely love sushi, particularly maki. For maki, the cucumber, avocado, and tuna rolls would be on the lower end of calories. Hope you find something on the menu that works for you!
  • andy_drouin
    andy_drouin Posts: 18 Member
    You can always order a Sashimi plate. You get the fish sliced thinly on a bed of rice, that way you can control how much of the rice you actually eat.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    I think the "300 calories for 12 pieces" is wrong. Tokyo Joe's makes a California roll and they have nutritional information that says 4 pieces are 203 calories, or 609 for 12 pieces. It is made with mayo though, so there are lower-calorie options. My advice would be, start with some miso soup (50 cals 1 cup) and edamame (100 calories per cup) and go easy on the rolls.
  • vincent2288
    vincent2288 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, just wondering whether I should stick to Sashimi as this article on sushi says that different types of sushi vary greatly in the calories they contain. My thinking is that with Sashimi, you can estimate pretty well how many calories you are going to eat, so it's a much healthier option?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Ok so I have a meal out at Yo! Sushi tomorrow and wondering how many calories are in the average sushi dish? I will be leaning more towards the vegetarian options and avoiding anything greasy or soaked in oil.
    How healthy is sushi really?
    I know it's all carbs caloriesand carbscalories = fat if not burned off. I will not be attending the gym this week, so need help on this please!
    Thankyou!

FTFY

• tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    edited February 2016
    You can definitely work sushi into your eating plan. The variety that are do not include tempura bits or mayo tend to be lower in calories. It's not terribly processed either. I often will grab a. Brown rice avocado roll and steam up some vegetables or make a big salad and have that as a meal. If the sushi place that you go to is a chain you may be able to et nutrition info. A small avocado roll is usually around 160 calories.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Hello, just wondering whether I should stick to Sashimi as this article on sushi says that different types of sushi vary greatly in the calories they contain. My thinking is that with Sashimi, you can estimate pretty well how many calories you are going to eat, so it's a much healthier option?

You might get more more answers to this if you start a new thread instead of bumping something 6 years old. Most people will respond to the OP and miss your question completely.

That said, sashimi can be lower calorie than the rolls. It depends kn what you like and what fits best in your calorie and nutrition goals.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member

sashimi is lower calorie (depending on how much you eat) so it is a great alternative. I prefer the rolls myself. I eat light during the day if I know I will be having sushi.

I agree, it would probably be a good idea to start a new thread so poeple see your question
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    There's sodium to consider. I always gain a pound of water after eating sushi - of course I like the soy sauce :smile:
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 402 Member
    Yo sushi have full nutritional info for all their dishes on their website, and I think even on the paper menus in their restaurants. You should be able to track exactly how much you are eating.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    mlinci wrote: »
    Yo sushi have full nutritional info for all their dishes on their website, and I think even on the paper menus in their restaurants. You should be able to track exactly how much you are eating.

OP posted almost six years ago, so I'd imagine she probably worked it out. :D
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    It's a necro'd thread, but the person who brought it back has a legitimate question.

My answer to that is:

Eat what you prefer. Sashimi is just the fish, without rice or vegetables or anything else to make it a roll or nigiri. Sure, the rice (especially) and other stuff add calories, but also nutrients - things like avocado, peppers, asparagus, cucumber, etc are good for you! If it's the occasional meal out, it's not going to matter that much in the long run.

Of course, if you're eating large amounts of either on a weekly basis, you would want to be more concerned (about several things, not just the calories, or "how fattening it is"
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Far from bad, sushi is a great. You are not getting a lot of rice really. Lots of protein in the fish (lots of iron in shellfish, cuttlefish and octopus). Miso is good for you, tofu is good for you, seaweed/kombu is good for you.

Now if you have some of the fusion type of dishes with mayo (argh) or deep fried....well, that's a different story.