Weighing In

Options
Hey guys, I have a quick question. Do you weigh yourself everyday, every few days or once a week? I tend to weigh myself everday and then am totally bummed out if there is no change.

Replies

• ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week. Monday mornings - it helps me to behave over the weekend to know the scale is waiting for me! :laugh:
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi,

Weigh in should be once a week...same time...I weigh myself Monday morning at 5:30 AM...don't make the weigh in an obsession...will only stress you out....
  • flwyland
    flwyland Posts: 142
    Options
    Right now I don't have a scale at home, so only weigh in at the doctor's office. Lately I've been in there at least once a month (one doctor or another, anyhow), so get weighed at least that often. Gonna look for a scale for at home this week.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    While try to lose weight, I weigh myself only once a week, early o'clock every Monday; otherwise it is frustrating if I don't see it budge. But once I reach my goal, my plan is to weigh myself EVERY day to insure that I stay within a 3-4 pound range of my goal weight so that I don't get off track of my maintenance plan.
  • amatia
    amatia Posts: 3
    Options
    I usually weigh in everyday in the morning.
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week -Friday mornings after I use the bathroom. If I did it everyday, I think I would start to get obsessive about the numbers. However, some people like to weigh themselves everyday in order to better track their progress, but then actually only log it in once a week.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning after a workout and a shower.

I don't get too upset at the day to day changes. It goes down as often as it goes up. It can also expose problems in your weekly routine. For me, my Monday morning weight is always about 2 lbs higher than my Sunday morning weight. Part of that is because I sleep in on Sunday but I don't think I drop 2 lbs in the 2 hrs difference. It's more likely snacking while watching some golf on TV or something like that.

I like to see the number daily. You may miss a really encouraging low weight if you don't do it every day. Maybe it relates to your personality. Some people might freak out if they see the numbers jump around the wrong direction (which they do sometimes).

I think it's personal preference. There's nothing wrong with daily and there's nothing wrong with once a week.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but I know that my weight will fluctuate and I don't take it to heart when I gain. I officially weigh in once a week though to better guage my progress.

Some people weigh in weekly, every 2 weeks, and some even monthly. It all depends on your preferences!
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    Once a week...Tuesdays.
  • kelliegreer
    kelliegreer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning to track my progress but with the understanding that if the number is up then that's OK because I have read that your weight will fluctuate daily from 1-3 pounds. I "officially" weigh in every Saturday morning when I do my weekly measurements.

Good luck! :smile:
  • BrendaW1
    BrendaW1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I try to only weigh once a week but sometimes twice
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Personally I weigh in everyday. I want to stay on top of any problems, it keeps me motivated, helps me see whats working and whats not. I know many things can vary the weight so take all that into consideration.
  • buttbegone
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think it is just ritual for me, like the exercising. Maybe I have OCD. LOL
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I thought once a week would be the best. But once a day works better for me. :bigsmile:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but only count it once a week.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Once a week for now... I'm susceptible to that "freak out if I haven't lost weight in 24 hours" thing. Once I hit my goal I'm planning to weigh-in daily so I can keep track of how the "maintainance" is going.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh in once a week. Usually Thursday or Friday morning after a cup of coffee and the morning's Nature's Call (trying not to gross anyone out). However, I will go two sometimes three weeks without weighing in. I do this if I know I have had a bad week food wise, or I know I didn't push myself at the gym. I avoid the scale to prevent myself from being bummed out.
  • brightlightkatie
    Options
    Once a week, on a Thursday morning. I also measure myself then too.

During the week or the times I'm feeling like I need to step on the scale, I tell by my clothes.
  • bekah1301
    bekah1301 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I'm at home it's too tempting to weigh in every day and I often do, but I don't actually find it useful. It IS hard if you think you've had a really good day diet and/or exercise wise and then you find you've put on weight, or just not lost any. When I'm at uni I don't have scales so I can't weigh myself at all. Last term I lost 8lb and didn't know until I went home - that was 1lb a week, which is good, but if I'd weighed myself every day I wouldn't have seen the difference and I'm not sure I would have stuck to my diet as well as I did.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't weigh yourself for 2 months!! But every now and then I find it very helpful to think about how I feel and how I look rather than exactly how much I weigh.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I weigh every day. I know I'm obsessive about it but it's the only way I can keep track of how I'm doing. I use the information to adjust my eating for the day. The last time I went months without weighing, I'd gained over 20 pounds. I do try to keep in mind that I'll be up a couple of pounds around my TOM and try not to stress about it too bad.