'stavation mode'

I'm starting to doubt the legitimacy of this ha!
To lose weight I have to take in a lot less calories than the recommended 1,200

I just EAT when HUNGRY and STOP as soon as i'm FULL

so, imagine if that only brought in 800 calories from doing, or possibly less. plus take away calories from exercising- say about 150 a day, will you go into starvation mode?

even if you're eating when you're hungry?

pffttt. load of cobblers.

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    You serious? I am going to assume you are. A "lot" less than 1200 is bad juju. But dont take my word for it, do a little research.
  • my body doesn't work like that
    i lost 2st only by taken in a lot less and managed to keep it off for two years but after a break up i gained 7lb that i need to lose

all bodies are different
    this is just mine
    annoyingly enough
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Thread locked in 3....2.....1
  • prattiger65
    Thread locked in 3....2.....1

Yep, but we IBTL
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    I'm just curious as to what you think your maintenance calories are?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    starvation mode is bull****.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Definintions ........

1200 calories (at least) is what your body needs for everyday bodily function..... heart, lungs, kidneys ... you don't need to be at ZERO (or negative) to lose weight

BMR .... these are the calories used .... if you stayed in bed all the time

TDEE .... these are the total daily energy expenditure calories (includes exercise) .... this much higher number is to maintain your current weight.

Reduce your TDEE by 10-15% and you lose weight

Starvation mode is your metabolism slowing down ..... to survive a very low calorie diet. This is GROSSLY exagerated ..... I'm sure some anorexics experience this .... but being on a diet "for a week" is not going to screw up your metabolism
  • Definintions ........

1200 calories (at least) is what your body needs for everyday bodily function..... heart, lungs, kidneys ... you don't need to be at ZERO (or negative) to lose weight

BMR .... these are the calories used .... if you stayed in bed all the time

TDEE .... these are the total daily energy expenditure calories (includes exercise) .... this much higher number is to maintain your current weight.

Reduce your TDEE by 10-15% and you lose weight

Starvation mode is your metabolism slowing down ..... to survive a very low calorie diet. This is GROSSLY exagerated ..... I'm sure some anorexics experience this .... but being on a diet "for a week" is not going to screw up your metabolism

yeah this is why i wondered
    because i persoanlly hadn't experienced any problems in terms of gaining or anything.

I presume it's more of seriously low calorie in takes? but i was reading something on another site and a girl was stressing cos she was saying she wasn't reaching her 1,500 targets and everyone was saying this was SO BAD AND AWFUL AND SHE MUST EAT AND GAIN THE CALORIES

and so i wondered.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member

nope, it's really not. look up adaptive thermogenesis.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    starvation mode, as described on MFP is a load of crap.
  • prattiger65
    IF you eat below BMR for an extended period of time, it will slow your metabolism down. I don't care what you want to call it, but it is certainly so. Its your body, do what you want to do. But you aren't "different" everyone has a BMR. I don't know your stats, but I am willing to bet that it is higher than 1200. In the end, you will do what you want in spite of people telling you different.. I read a statement the other day that I thought was very good. Take diet and nutritional advice from someone who has the body you want, not the body you currently have. Just a thought.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    I think the term starvation mode is misunderstood and probably the word survival mode should be used. A person's metabolism will slow down if the body thinks it is getting too few calories. That's a fact. From your picture(if it is you) and from the amount of weight you want to lose it does not appear that you have a major love affair with food like many of us do. You would do well to go to a nutritionist or dietician. Just like any other organism you need an adequate fuel source.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    You may be losing weight now, but I would take into consideration if you think you will be comfortable eating like this in the future.

I used to eat 800-900 calories a day and run 3-4 miles daily and I felt fine. My energy levels were up, I wasn't hungry, it was whatever. Eventually, that just didn't work for me and I needed more calories to have any sort of function of my body and to have energy. I gained weight because I had messed up my metabolism while only consuming a net of like 500 calories for a year. It has been much, much harder to lose the weight this time. I would just keep it in mind.

Also, aside from weight gain or loss, your body needs a certain amount of calories for your organs to function properly on a daily basis, without exercise. That's what your BMR is. When you drastically go below this is when you can start to have things get messed up in your body that you aren't even aware of.

Just something to think about. It's not always about losing weight, but being healthy as well. Someone can be eating 700 calories a day and weigh less than I do and it doesn't mean they are healthier.
  • Yes, like i said I managed to lose 28lb doing this in the past and kept it off
    it's only 7lb i'm losing which i gained last year as i found my way back to the crisps and biscuits :x

1,200 just doesn't work for me. I'm not quite sure how else I can say that?
    but it was tried for three months but i wasn't losing anything. i stopped gaining however, but wasn't losing (i was too lazy at the time to do exercise i'll state, however) reduced the calories and it started coming off slowly and steadily after about two weeks.
  • sorry, that was aimed at pratt.
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Yes, like i said I managed to lose 28lb doing this in the past and kept it off
    it's only 7lb i'm losing which i gained last year as i found my way back to the crisps and biscuits :x

1,200 just doesn't work for me. I'm not quite sure how else I can say that?
    but it was tried for three months but i wasn't losing anything. i stopped gaining however, but wasn't losing (i was too lazy at the time to do exercise i'll state, however) reduced the calories and it started coming off slowly and steadily after about two weeks.

I also have a hard time eating what is recomended. I eat a diet of mostly veggies, fruit, gltuen free foods, and occasionaly meet. My meals are above the recomneded serving size but too low in calories. How does that work?
    Like you, I am always full adn am losing weight all while feeling completely fine.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member

I agree, but just 1200 calories would be too low for me, I'd feel like I was starving, lol.
  • I'll also state I do running, excerise dvd, and yoga and was recently doing 1,100 an wasn't losing anything
    even though i was doing all the exercise
    i was doing that since december

i'm going by what my body tells me and it's telling me I'm taking in too many calories *shrugs*
    it makes no real difference to me.

i'm guessing everyone has their own limit till when the starvation mode kicks in, because me personally taking in less calories than averagely suggested for someone of 4'10 and 119lb and at my age- 'starvation mode' just has not happened (yet)

i aint gonna reduce further to find out where my limit is though ha!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    DWW4U (do what works for you)

As long as your healthy and not just a wad of skin and bones with no muscle mass and your organs failing.

IB4TL
  • i like the replies to this

some saying starvation mode should be respected, some saying it's rubbish