having a hard time

Options
Whenever I eat out, I know what I SHOULD eat, but I just don't do it. I know that I'm going to feel terrible afterwards, but that just doesn't do it for me. Any advice?

Replies

• smtirado
    smtirado Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    all the advise I can give you is to keep trying. I know it hard once you go out to eat. Maybe try this: eat some light and filling in the morning. Egg keep you full, also fruits the same thing for lunch. Then at dinner have a good meal.
  • missidap
    missidap Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ok.. this is what I have done. I bring the worst "fat" picture of me and before I order I look at it and know I don't want to be that way anymore. Then I order the healthy meal. ":)
  • jflad
    jflad Posts: 7
    Options
    Don't go out to eat. If you stock up on healthy foods at home you won't even be tempted with bad choices.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Well, how often do you go out to eat? If its every once in a while, don't sweat it TOO hard.. you should enjoy life and reward yourself.

Or, opt for half and half. Like a juicy steak? Just eat some broccoli/salad with it instead of a loaded baked potato and french fries. :) Like the fried chicken salad and don't like grilled on it instead? Just order a reduced calorie dressing and cheese on the side and only put on half what usually goes on there.

Or, order what you want, but ask the waitress to bring a to-go box and IMMEDIATELY put half in it. No ifs ands or buts.

Eating out is my downfall as well. But it this is a lifestyle not a diet - and I don't know anyone who could go the rest of their lives without a tasty, satisfying meal now and then.
  • rch0067
    rch0067 Posts: 7
    Options
    I hear ya. I also have a hard time going out and ordering what I SHOULD eat. Its like words just come flying out of my mouth without it even having been processed in my brain.

I find that the more prepared I am, the easier it is for me. If I know I'm going somewhere I'm going to be tempted and I'll eat something before I leave home. I have a much better time making a better decision at a restaurant if I'm not hungry. Also, if I know where I'm going and I'm familiar with their menu, I might decide what i'm going to get even before I get there. I still try to get things I enjoy, and just try to change the meal so that it fits my calorie intake better (salad dressing on the side, vegetables instead of fries. no mayo-- small things like that go a long way with calories).

One last thing that helps me is that I tell myself, I'll order the salad and if I'm still hungry, Í tell myself that I can order that thing AFTER I eat the salad (or whatever healthy choice). Usually by the time I finish the salad, I'm feeling satisfied. It works for me to sort of tell myself that I'm "free," but it may not work for everyone.

Anyway, I hope this helps. At least you are not the only one that struggles with this!

rh
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I try to look up the menu ahead of time and decide. No bread, Have water, figure it in and journal before you go. It has helped me.
    Also don't go starving. Have some veggies before you go, it helps to keep your resolve!:flowerforyou:
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been wearing tighter pants then I like to wear when we go out.. They already make me feel like a sausage and I don't want them feeling even worse. And I drink lots of water before I go..
  • moochpookie
    Options
    Try going to restaurants that have the weight watchers meals. They are delicious and you don't have to feel bad if you eat the whole thing. Keep in mind eating out is about the company, not the actual eating. Don't feel like you need to clean your plate because it costs money. Think of it like you are paying for the experience, no the food. Have mostly fun when you're out, not food,